To take advantage of the FREE recycling services listed below. It is important that you sort your load so recyclables are clearly separate from other waste.
FREE disposal of Household Recyclables, E-Waste, TVs and Computers, Steel Goods, some white goods (excluding fridges), hot water services, Bikes, Gas cylinders (up to 9kg), Paint (up to 100L), Motor oil (up to 20L), Fluorescent tubes/light globes – domestic quantities and batteries (car, household, mobile phone).
For full details, opening hours and pricing, please refer to:
Asbestos of Domestic Origin Only can only be accepted at the Rye Resource Recovery Centre in 1/2 cubic metre per visit. Fees apply – see fees and charges.
Rye Resource Recovery Centre
280 Truemans Road, Rye.
Melway Reference: 169 D10.
Monday to Friday 8.00am to 4.00pm
Weekends & Public Holidays 8.00am to 5.00pm
Asbestos MUST be double wrapped in 200 micron heavy duty builders plastic (in parcels that are able to be handled by one person) and completely sealed with duct tape in order that the package is air tight. MUST be labelled 'Asbestos Do Not Open'.
Asbestos disposal guidelines have been put in place by Mornington Peninsula Shire Council in accordance with the EPA to help ensure the safety of the general public and all employees for the removal and disposal of a dangerous material.
- All material suspected to be asbestos must be treated as asbestos until proven otherwise through tests performed by qualified independent authorised authorities.
- All asbestos must be declared at gatehouse on arrival.
- Any undeclared asbestos will be sent off site immediately. NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN.
- Asbestos MUST be double wrapped in 200 micron heavy duty builders' plastic and taped to seal completely.
- No more that 0.5 cubic metres will be accepted at any one time in compliance with EPA Licence requirements.
- Asbestos found not to be completely wrapped will be sent off site immediately.
- Asbestos must be wrapped in quantities small, compact and light enough to be removed from trailer by hand by one person to reduce any risk of cuts or tears in the plastic.
- Asbestos will not be accepted at the Waste Disposal Centres (transfer stations) at Mornington or Tyabb. (Accepted at Rye ONLY)
- Only asbestos from a domestic source will be accepted.
- Truck loads of asbestos (minimum size 3 tonne truck admitted) may also be taken to Devil Bend Landfill, 240 Balnarring Road. Phone: 5989 7333.
PLEASE NOTE: Personal protection equipment must be worn when handling asbestos
FREE disposal of batteries. Car, household, mobile phone domestic quantities only. Dispose at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recovery Centres.
FREE disposal of bikes/bicycles at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recovery Centres.
Disposal of car bodies at RYE ONLY. Car body with tank, tyres and rims (fees apply). Car Body with tyres and tank removed (FREE RYE ONLY).
Cardboard & Paper (including liquid paperboard) - Cardboard boxes (please flatten) and all types of paper including newspapers, magazines, envelopes, brochures, catalogues, phone books. Please don’t include waxed cardboard boxes.
Clean and empty chemical drums are accepted. There must be NO trace of chemical residue. (Tyabb and Rye sites only)
Mornington Peninsula Shire residents are urged to 'Detox Your Home' - a safe, free and easy-to-use service to dispose of common household chemicals without harming your health or the environment.
The service is delivered via two collection systems:
- The Detox Your Home mobile collection service to safely dispose of household chemicals held at 31 locations across Victoria each year
- A network of Victorian drop-off facilities you can access all year round to dispose of paint, household batteries, fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs). Our Mornington, Tyabb and Rye Resource Recovery Centres are part of this network.
Visit Sustainability Victoria’s website for more information about the above services, including a complete list of the accepted products.
FREE disposal of computers, computer accessories like keyboards moderns and mouses, TVs and printers at the Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recovery Centres. Fees apply for air conditioners, fridges and freezers.
FREE disposal of mobile phones at major phone retailers.
From 1 July 2019, all e-waste will be banned from landfill. Electronic Waste (e-waste) is anything with a plug, cord and/or battery. E-waste contains valuable resources we can reuse. E-waste also contains harmful chemicals and toxins.
Find out more about what happens to your e-waste and how to protect your data at Take you e-waste to a better place
Disposal is FREE - Up to 9kg at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recovery Centres.
Clean bottles and jars (green, brown and white) accepted FREE of charge for disposal at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recycle Centres
Please don’t include broken drinking glasses, window glass or crockery.
Hot water service, clothes dryer, dishwasher etc (excluding fridges) accepted FREE of charge for disposal at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recycle Centres
Newspaper / magazines/ bottles/ cans / glass / plastic /cardboard & boxes may be disposed of FREE of charge at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recycle Centres. The Shire also operates three smaller waste facilities, or hoppers, that accept household waste and recyclables.
FREE disposal of Florescent Tubes at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recovery Centres.
Green waste includes your lawn clippings, branches, garden prunings and timber (no treated pine). Please don’t contaminate your green waste with plastic, metal or concrete. (Charges apply)
May be disposed of FREE of charge at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recycle Centres.
Up to 20 litres per visit may be disposed of FREE of charge at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recycle Centres.
Up to 100 litres of household and trade paint may be deposited FREE at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recycle Centres. Paint must be carried in secure containers no larger than 20 litres.
Australia’s Most Admired Painter
Snap a selfie when you're dropping of your unwanted paint at the Resource Recovery Centres, upload your photo to Paintback to enter the draw to win at trip to the Great Barrier Reef.
Competition starts from 18 February 2019 and closes 5 pm 31 March 2019.
Rigid/hard plastics can be recycled FREE at Rye, Tyabb and Mornington Resource Recycle Centres. Rigid/hard plastics cannot easily be scrunched into a ball.
Some examples of recyclable plastics are clean milk bottles, soft drink bottles, cordial bottles, detergent bottles, juice bottles, ice cream, margarine, takeaway, yogurt containers and plastic lids.
Please don’t include plastic bags or polystyrene.
Car bodies, iron, steel, wire and whitegoods. Disposal of car bodies is only available at RYE ONLY. Car body with tank, tyres and rims (fees apply). Car Body with tyres and tank removed (FREE RYE ONLY).