Vehicle Access to Shire Reserves

Residents who share property boundaries with Shire-managed land may request a permit for vehicle access to a council reserve allowing them to access their property to undertake maintenance and building works. As land manager, the Shire is responsible for protecting land and assets and can grant or refuse access on this basis.  

  • Shire-managed land includes recreational, bushland, foreshore and roadside reserves.
  • Residents can apply for a permit to obtain vehicle access to their property through Shire land.

Applying for a permit

Please allow 4 weeks from application to a decision on reserve access.

Applicants must provide: 

  • A Safety Management Plan which details the area within the reserve requiring vehicle access, proposed works and safety considerations to ensure public safety (such as signage and entry/exit points). Download an example Safety Management Plan(PDF, 468KB) (PDF) here 
  • Proof of Public Liability Insurance (for businesses/contractors)
  • Full comprehensive vehicle insurance (for for businesses/contractors/private landholders).

Once an application is received, it is reviewed by a Shire officer who will determine if a permit is issued based on the reserve condition, existing assets, the submitted application and supporting documents provided.

The applicant will then be contacted to inform them of the outcome of their application.

Where access is granted, the applicant is required to pay a refundable security bond of $1000 (minimum). This bond is held in the event of damage caused to the reserves surface, infrastructure, vegetation or other Shire assets and/or loss of Shire keys. A bond greater than $1000 may be requested at the discretion of inspecting officer, based on proposed works and surrounding reserve assets.

Payment of the security bond can be made online. Once paid, applicants can then pick up a Shire key from a Customer Service Centre to use on the access gate for the agreed access period.

At the end of the agreed access period, it is the responsibility of the applicant to return the key to the same Customer Service Centre.  Following this, a Shire officer will inspect to assess if any damage has occurred during the reserve access period. If the Shire officer is satisfied that no damage has been incurred, the security bond will be refunded to the person that lodged the application.

In instances where repairs are required, bond will be held until damage is repaired to the satisfaction of inspecting Shire officer.

Conditions for Access to Shire Land

Under certain circumstances, access to Shire-managed land may be declined. The most common reasons for this include:

  • Potential risk to public safety (i.e., high use areas)
  • Potential damage to Shire amenity, assets and/or infrastructure (i.e., drainage facilities, footpaths, overhanging trees, grassed areas, and powerlines)
  • Existing condition of the reserve and access tracks
  • Proximity to playgrounds
  • Areas of significant flora and fauna.       

Please be aware that in environmentally sensitive areas, reserve access is usually not permitted.

Make an application for vehicle access to Shire land using the online form

Apply online

For more information please contact: 1300 850 600 or by email