Hazardous Waste Disposal

Batteries, gas bottles and other hazardous waste items are flammable and should never be disposed of in kerbside waste bins.

What is hazardous waste?

You might be surprised to learn that common items from our homes, such as batteries, gas bottles, fluorescent lights, and cleaning products can be hazardous.

Household hazardous items include a broad range of products that are flammable, toxic, explosive corrosive substance is hazardous if:

  • it can catch fire
  • react or explode when mixed with other substances
  • releases dangerous vapours or
  • is corrosive or toxic

If disposed of incorrectly these items can cause fires in our waste trucks and at our Resource Recovery Centres posing a significant health and safety risk to our waste workers, community as well as cause damage to collection vehicles, resulting in high clean-up and truck repair/replacement costs, disruption to kerbside collection services.

How should I dispose of hazardous waste?

Hazardous waste items should not be placed in your kerbside waste, recycling or food and green waste bins, but taken to your closest drop-off point.

Disposing of hazardous waste correctly will not only protect our environment and our community, but the people who collect our kerbside bins, sort our recycling and work at our landfills.

Don't be responsible for starting a fire. We’ve listed local drop-offs below to help you correctly dispose of your hazardous waste. If you are unsure contact Customer Service on 1300 850 600


Small household batteries can be dropped off at select stores, to be collected for recycling.  Find your local store at B-cycle or if your local supermarket is an IGA, the collection points are listed at Ecobatt or at our Resource Recovery Centres for free.

Battery operated items, such as electric; toys, toothbrushes, razors, vaping devices remote controls etc. are considered e-waste. E-waste is any item that has a battery, cord or plug, and is at the end of its useful life. E-waste can be disposed of at our Resource Recovery centres. Fees apply for some larger items such as fridges, freezers and air conditioners. Some smaller e-waste items such as mobile phones, cameras and cables can be disposed of at our Recovery Stations in our libraries. Some local stores also offer e-waste recycling services, check recycling near you to find your closest collection point.

Car batteries can be disposed of at our Resource Recovery Centres for FREE (domestic quantities only).


Gas bottles and canisters

Gas bottles can be disposed of at our Resource recovery Centres for free (domestic LPG gas bottles up to 9kg (used for BBQs), fire extinguishers, car gas tanks, domestic household gas tanks) (domestic quantities only).

Gas bottles can be refilled many times, visit recycling near you for refill options.

Butane gas cartridges/canisters (used for camping stoves), oxygen gas tanks, welding gas tanks are only accepted at a Detox Your Home Events.



Paint can be disposed of at our Resource Recovery Centres for free.

Up to 100 litres of household and trade only and the paint must be carried in secure containers no larger than 20 litres.

All paint is recycled through Paintback, the industry-run paint recycling scheme, transports the paint from the collection point for treatment. The packaging and waste liquid are separated and the containers are recycled. Waste paint is treated in a number of ways including energy recovery for solvent and liquid/solid separation for water-based paint, significantly minimising landfill over current practices.

Visit the Paintback website for a full list of accepted products under the scheme.


Sustainability Victoria’s Detox Your Home program provides is a safe, free and easy-to-use way residents can dispose of common household chemicals without harming their health or the environment. These mobile collections are open to all residents.

The Detox Your Home mobile collection service is held at 31 locations across Victoria each year. Find out when the next Detox Your Home Event   is on the Peninsula.

Visit Sustainability Victoria’s website for more information about the next scheduled collection and the complete list of the accepted products.

Click on the safe handling of chemicals web page to learn how you can safely store your chemicals.    

Light globes and fluorescent tubes

Light globes and fluorescent tubes can be disposed of at our Resource Recovery Centres free of charge or in our Resource Recovery Stations in our libraries (unbroken & domestic quantities only). Broken globes or tubes should be wrapped in paper and placed in the general waste bin.


Flares and ammunition

Flares and ammunition should be taken to your local police station (which will issue a property receipt), a licensed firearms dealer, or through an individual who is appropriately licensed under the Firearms Act 1996.

It is recommended that you contact your local police station or the premises of a licensed firearms dealer to arrange for surrender of the ammunition.

If you are required to transport the ammunition for disposal purposes, you must ensure that it is transported in a safe and secure manner that is not dangerous, and that you take reasonable precautions to ensure that the ammunition is not lost or stolen.


Full or partially full aerosol cans are flammable and cannot be disposed of in any kerbside bin. These can be disposed at mobile Detox Your Home events.  

Aerosol cans can only go into the recycling bin if they are completely empty.

Separate the lid of the can from the body, which is likely to be made of plastic and not aluminium.



More information

Waste and Recycling Disposal Guide
Learn how to dispose of other items correctly.

Resource Recovery Centers
Visit our Council drop off points.