Occupation of a Road or Footpath

To undertake certain works on new or existing buildings, the use of a road or footpath may be necessary to manoeuvre plant and equipment, store materials or undertake physical labour. If this is the case, a permit to occupy or fence off part of a road or footpath will be required.

Permit to Occupy or Fence Off Road or Footpath

 The purpose of a permit to occupy or fence off part of a road or footpath is to ensure that adequate measures are employed to protect the public from activities that are occurring on, around and above a worksite on a public road or footpath.

Such works may include:

  • Closing an area to undertake maintenance works on the façade of a building.
  • Using a scissor lift or mobile crane on a footpath.
  • Delivering or storing building site materials.

Please review the application information requirements (detailed below) before applying.

Apply and pay online 

The prescribed fee as at 1st July 2016 is $150.00.

Once an application form has been lodged with the Shire and the prescribed fee paid, a Shire Officer will respond to the application by means of issuing a permit along with any accompanying information or conditions.

Applications will not be considered until payment has been received.

Application Information Requirements

Supporting information must be submitted with applications to assist Shire Officers in assessing the application.

Information that must be submitted includes:

  • Site plan showing any existing footpath, kerb, vehicle crossings, roadway details, service hatches or manholes, trees or street furniture along with the location of the proposed works.
  • Details of the proposed works and any relevant dimension and offsets from property boundaries.
  • Details of works period and contractor engaged to undertake the works.

Reinstatement Obligations

When works are undertaken within a road reserve, there is an obligation to return the area to a condition as near as practicable to that before the works commenced. This may involve the removal and reinstatement of community infrastructure assets.

To assist contractor in undertaking works in road reserves, the Shire has a specification for installations and reinstatements which can be view in the Civil Engineering Standard Drawings section. 

For more information please contact: 1300 850 600 or by email customerservice@mornpen.vic.gov.au