Asbestos of Domestic Origin Only can only be accepted at the Rye Resource Recovery Centre in 1/2 cubic metre per visit.
Fees apply – see fees and charges(PDF, 228KB)
Rye Resource Recovery Centre
280 Truemans Road, Rye.
Melway Reference: 169 D10.
Monday to Friday 8.00am to 4.00pm
Weekends & Public Holidays 8.00am to 5.00pm
Asbestos MUST be double wrapped in 200 micron heavy duty plastic (in parcels that are able to be handled by one operator) and completely sealed with duct tape in order that the package is air tight. MUST be labelled 'Asbestos Do Not Open'.
Asbestos disposal guidelines have been put in place by Mornington Peninsula Shire Council in accordance with the EPA to help ensure the safety of the general public and all employees for the removal and disposal of a dangerous material:
1. All material suspected to be asbestos must be treated as asbestos until proven otherwise through tests performed by qualified independent authorised authorities.
2. All asbestos must be declared at gatehouse on arrival.
3. Any undeclared asbestos will be sent off site immediately. NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN.
4. Asbestos MUST be double wrapped in 200 micron heavy duty plastic and taped to seal completely.
5. No more that 0.5 cubic metres will be accepted at any one time in compliance with EPA Licence requirements.
6. Asbestos found not to be completely wrapped will be sent off site immediately.
7. Asbestos must be wrapped in quantities small, compact and light enough to be removed from trailer by hand by one person to reduce any risk of cuts or tears in the plastic.
8. Asbestos will not be accepted at the Waste Disposal Centres (transfer stations) at Mornington or Tyabb. (Accepted at Rye ONLY)
9. Only asbestos from a domestic source will be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: Personal protection equipment must be worn when handling asbestos. For removal of large quantities of asbestos please follow the Victorian Governments advice.