- Fragile rock formations – standing or sitting on the rock or cliff edges poses a very high safety risk. Entering the site is discouraged.
- This Pillars has no formal infrastructure and is not suited to large numbers of visitors. There are no toilets or other amenities.
- The Pillars is located in a residential area with no parking facilities. Please be respectful to those who live here.
- Be aware of road safety. The Esplanade is a busy arterial road with many bends and turns.
- Phone reception is limited. In an emergency, ring 000.
The foreshore area including The Pillars is coastal Crown land owned by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP), with Mornington Peninsula Shire having routine maintenance responsibilities as the delegated Committee of Management.
The Pillars also has significant cultural heritage and natural environmental value. Protecting and enhancing these values is vital and a legislative requirement.
Shire officers and Council continue to work with the community, State government, Victoria Police, Country Fire Authority, Parks Victoria, Life Saving Victoria, Bunurong Land Council and other stakeholders to implement short and long term management actions as per the Council adopted Long Term Management Plan.
Track closures, revegetation and updated signage are among recent measures taken by the Shire to reduce erosion and warn visitors of cliff instability at The Pillars, Mount Martha. The efficacy of these measures will be monitored and management options reviewed on an ongoing basis. The temporary fence that was in place last summer will not be erected this summer (2019/2020).
Nearby streets will be patrolled regularly to monitor illegal parking and issue infringements where appropriate. Litter collection will be undertaken in nearby streets and Shire bins emptied daily during peak season.
The site will be monitored by Shire officers and agency stakeholders to evaluate visitor numbers and associated activity.
Please report parking and maintenance issues via the Snap, Send, Solve app or the Shire's Customer Service Team
Phone: 1300 850 600
Illegal and antisocial behaviour should be reported to the police.