Building Responsibilities

If you're planning to build or renovate, we recommend discussing your plans with your neighbours. Keeping your neighbours informed about your building and renovations can help avoid problems before, during and after construction. If your building and renovation work complies with all building and planning requirements, you are well on your way to avoiding neighbourly issues.

The Shire has developed a Building and Works Code of Practice to manage the effects of building development within the municipality, enhance sustainable infrastructure and support the wellbeing of local communities and the environment. For further information, see Asset Protection.

Building Site Signage

A sign for the building project must be displayed in a visible public location, providing details of the building permit, the building surveyor responsible for issuing the permit and the builder responsible for the work.

Building Site Risks

A private building surveyor oversees the building work throughout the construction process and will determine any public safety precautions necessary before and during building work.

If you are concerned that the works are affecting or undermining your property and you want to discuss protection measures, you can report these concerns to the private building surveyor. The details of the private building surveyor will be displayed on the building site signage.

If you have concerns about the building work presenting a risk to public safety, you can report this to the private building surveyor or you can contact us.

Excavation and Digging

If your building work involves digging or excavation, for example, constructing a fence, driveway or pool, we recommend that you lodge a free enquiry to identify if there are any infrastructure assets within the vicinity of your work, to protect the safety of the people doing the work and to avoid disruption to your services. For more information, see Dial Before you Dig.

Asbestos Removal

Any asbestos removal on commercial building sites or conducted by building contractors must be carried out by a licensed asbestos removalist. For more information, see Asbestos and Asbestos Removal

Noise and Residential Construction

For information on noise regulations for general residential construction and renovation, see Noise Guidelines During Residential Construction.

Building Disputes

If you are unable to resolve a dispute with your builder, you may be eligible to lodge an application for conciliation services with Domestic Building Dispute Resolution. For more information, see Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria.