Do I need a Building Permit to Build a Fence?

The Building Regulations 2018 stipulate that you do need a building permit for the following:

  • Front fence greater than 1.5m high
  • Front fence constructed from masonry greater than 1.2m high
  • Boundary fence greater than 2m high
  • Front or boundary fence that forms part of a pool safety barrier
  • If your property is a corner block, a front fence greater than 1m high within 9m of the point of intersection of your two corner boundaries, see the red line in the diagram below.

Diagram of fencing on a corner block

For more information on the Building Regulations that apply to fences, see our fact file Fences – Building Regulations 2018(PDF, 559KB).

Do I need a Planning Permit to Build a Fence?

Planning requirements are site specific. Please contact the Planning Services unit to find out if you need a Planning Permit to build your fence Do I need a planning permit?

Where is my Property Boundary?

Your Certificate of Title (Plan of Subdivision) includes a diagram indicating the boundary dimensions of your property. If you want to determine the actual location of your property boundaries, you will need to engage a licensed land surveyor. There is no guarantee that your existing boundary fence is on your title boundary. You will find a list of ‘Land Surveyors’ online and in the phone directory. To check if a land surveyor is registered, see the Surveyors Registration Board of Victoria's Land Surveyor Register.

You can request a copy of your Current Certificate of Title from Landata or to watch a video on how to obtain a Certificate of Title, see Certificate of Title Search.

Replacing a Boundary Fence

If you want to replace or repair a boundary fence, you will need to reach an agreement with your neighbour. Boundary fences are joint property and both neighbours have the same rights and obligations. For more information on fence laws, see the Victorian Law Foundation's information on Fence Laws.

How can I contact my neighbours?

If you want to contact your neighbour to discuss a fence matter, please submit a written request using this form at the bottom of this page.

Notice to Fence

A Notice to Fence is a formal document that you can issue to your neighbour setting out your proposal for constructing or repairing the boundary fence. For more information and to download the template, see the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria's Notice to Fence.

How can I resolve a fencing dispute?

If you are having trouble reaching an agreement with your neighbour about the repair or replacement of a boundary fence, see the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria's information on fencing.

I share a fence with the Shire

Public land may be owned by the Shire or the Shire may be responsible for managing the land. If the public land is not owned by the Shire, the Fences Act does not require the Shire to share the cost of replacing or repairing a boundary fence. To discuss your eligibility for shared cost fencing, please call us on 1300 850 600. For further information on shared cost fencing, see our fact file Fencing shared cost with the Shire(PDF, 163KB).

Fencing request for neighbours contact details

Applicant Details
Please note: If the property is in a Company Name, please also complete a Company Authority form
Method of Response

Property Details
Adjoining Property Details
By clicking on "I Agree" you are accepting that the information being requested and provided is to contact the above property owner(s) to obtain consent to construct a boundary fence on the adjoining properties.
Privacy Statement: All personal information will be handled in accordance with the Information Privacy and Data Act 2014 (vic) Information is being supplied in accordance with the Fences Act 1968