Building on Flood Prone Land

A large percentage of the Mornington Peninsula Shire is designated as flood prone. If your property is identified as flood prone it doesn't mean that you won't be able to build on it, it means you will need to apply for Report and Consent - Build on Flood Prone Land.

What does flood prone mean?

It may come as a surprise, but a large percentage of the Mornington Peninsula is designated as flood prone. Flood prone means that the land has a 1% probability of flooding in any given year, commonly referred to as a 1 in 100 year flood event.

Is my land flood prone?

To confirm whether your land is flood prone or if there are any designated land or works (Water utility assets) that restrict development, you need to submit an application for Property Information.

Flood prone maps

For an overview of flood prone areas within the Mornington Peninsula Shire, you can view flood prone maps here Flood prone maps. You will need to open the ‘Key Map’ first to identify which particular map you need to open to view flood prone information relevant to your property.

What is the minimum floor level for my property?

There is no minimum floor level set for any area within the Mornington Peninsula Shire. The topography within the region varies greatly and most properties include some fall across the land. Each application is site specific and the flood level, and nominated minimum floor level, is assessed individually.