TAC L2P Program
The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) L2P Program is a community-based program developed to assist eligible young Victorian learner drivers between the ages of 16 and 21 years (and in some circumstances, up to 23 years) who do not have access to a supervising driver, or an appropriate vehicle gain driving experience required for a probationary licence.
The TAC L2P Program is funded by the TAC, administered by the Department of Transport and coordinated by Mornington Peninsula Shire.
How does it work?
Our Program matches eligible learners with a vehicle and fully licenced volunteer mentor driver to help learners gain driving experience.
Before being matched with a volunteer mentor and throughout the course of their L2P driving journey, participating learners have access to several free driving lessons with a professional driving instructor. This helps learners build their skills through the four stages of the Graduated Licencing System before getting on the road with a volunteer mentor.
Stage 1 – Basic car control
Stage 2 – Quiet streets
Stage 3 – Complex traffic
Stage 4 – Rehearsing solo
With a specific focus on reducing Victoria’s road toll, the TAC L2P program focuses on helping young people become safe, confident drivers. Additionally, it also provides an opportunity to interact with positive adult role models, gain confidence and move towards social independence. Volunteer mentors also have opportunities to connect with other mentors within their geographical region.
Who is eligible for the TAC L2P program?
To be considered for a learner position within our TAC L2P Program, Learners need to meet the following criteria: *
- be between 16 and 23 years old (please note applicants between 21-23 are only considered under special circumstances) *
- hold a current Victorian learner’s permit
- not have access to a supervising driver and/or an appropriate vehicle **
- live in Mornington Peninsula Shire *
If you’re accepted into the TAC L2P Program as a learner, Mornington Peninsula Shire will be responsible for your participation and ongoing advice.
* In some circumstances, we will consider applications up to 23 years of age, or outside our Local Government Area. Please contact us for further information.
** There are several factors that determine if a vehicle or supervising driver is appropriate. If you’re unsure, you can contact us on the number below.
Becoming a L2P Mentor
The TAC L2P Program doesn’t just benefit learner drivers. In joining the TAC L2P Program, volunteer mentors work with and are responsible to Mornington Peninsula Shire who will work with you and provide opportunities to directly help a young learner driver and connect with the community.
We have a full training program to ensure you’re well prepared to mentor a learner driver and understand your role as a supervising driver. Learners participating in the program also have access to free driving lessons with a professional instructor to build their skills before getting on the road with a volunteer mentor.
Volunteer mentors need to meet the following criteria to be considered for the TAC L2P program:
- be over 21 years of age
- hold a current full Australian driver's licence
- have a satisfactory driver licence history report
- be medically fit to drive (we may discuss this further through the application process)
- not be currently working as a professional driving instructor
- can commit approximately 1-2 hours per week
Additionally, as part of the application process, you will be asked to provide *:
- a valid (volunteer) Working with Children’s Check
- a satisfactory National Police Check
* Our Program can help with these if required.
Volunteer mentors and learners must complete an application form and undergo an assessment to be considered for the TAC L2P program.
The easiest way to apply is through the L2P Page on the VicRoads website. Paper-based application forms can be downloaded from the VicRoads website and returned directly to our program using the contact details below.
Once the application form is received, we will be in contact to go through next steps.
For more information about this program please contact:
Mornington Peninsula Shire L2P Program
M: 0448 080 527