Local law permits
The Mornington Peninsula Shire Local Laws makes provision for residents to apply for a Local Law permit when the activity they wish to undertake is not permitted without approval of a Local Law permit. The purpose of Local Law permits is to regulate certain activities to ensure they do not impact on the safety of the public, create a nuisance or unduly affect the amenity of the area.
When is a local law permit required?
A local law permit may be required for a number of reasons. Ultimately, it will be required anywhere an activity is not permitted without approval of a Local Law permit. Please see the list below, in conjunction with the Mornington Peninsula Shire General Purposes Local Law(PDF, 8MB) .
A few reasons that you may need a local law permit include:
- Burning Off (Part 7 of the General Purposes Local Law)
- Keeping additional animals (Part 5 of the General Purposes Local Law)
- Busking (Part 2 Section 13 of the General Purposes Local Law)
- Camping (Part 3 Section 36 of the General Purposes Local Law)
- Use of a crane on public property (Part 2 Section 9 of the General Purposes Local Law
- Hoardings (for more information visit our Hoardings webpage)
- Keeping or storing a heavy vehicle on private property (Part 3 Section 33 of the General Purposes Local Law)
- Use of a recreation vehicle on private property (Part 3 Section 37 of the General Purposes Local Law)
- Additional signage (Part 2 Sections 15, 16 & 17 of the General Purposes Local Law. Please also check our Signage webpage)
- Distribution of flyers (Part 9 Section 66 of the General Purposes Local Law)
- To occupy a road reserve, nature strip, footpath (Part 2 Sections 18, 19 & 20 of the General Purposes Local Law).
Please refer to our section on Local Laws Detail
Please Note: Our Local Laws may not be the only legislation governing the activity you wish to undertake. In some instances for example, you may require a planning permit or permission from another authority (eg VicRoads).
For further information contact Environment Protection on: 5950 1050.
How to Apply
How you apply may change depending on what you are wanting to do. Below are the links with information on how to apply for each permit.