Local law permits

The Mornington Peninsula Shire Local Laws makes provision for residents to apply for a Local Law permit when the activity they wish to undertake is not permitted without approval of a Local Law permit. The purpose of Local Law permits is to regulate certain activities to ensure they do not impact on the safety of the public, create a nuisance or unduly affect the amenity of the area. 

When is a local law permit required?

A local law permit may be required for a number of reasons. Ultimately, it will be required anywhere an activity is not permitted without approval of a Local Law permit. Please see the list below, in conjunction with the Mornington Peninsula Shire Community Amenity Local Law 2022.(PDF, 1MB)

A few reasons that you may need a local law permit include:

  • Burning Off
  • Keeping additional animals
  • Busking
  • Camping
  • Use of a crane on public property
  • Hoardings (for more information visit our Hoardings webpage)
  • Keeping or storing a heavy vehicle on private property
  • Use of a recreation vehicle on private property
  • Additional signage (for more information visit our Signage webpage)
  • Distribution of flyers
  • To occupy a road reserve, nature strip, footpath

Required Legislation

Please refer to our section on Local Laws Detail

Please Note: Our Local Laws may not be the only legislation governing the activity you wish to undertake. In some instances for example, you may require a planning permit or permission from another authority (eg VicRoads).

For further information contact Community Safety on: 5950 1434.

How to Apply

How you apply may change depending on what you are wanting to do. Below are the links with information on how to apply for each permit.