Impact of climate and health on our community
Climate change is bad for our health and we are already seeing the impacts.
Temperature increases are only one of the many and varied impacts of climate change on human health and wellbeing. Climate change can have both direct and indirect health impacts. For instance, temperature directly influences bushfire danger posing direct threats to human life while having indirect effects such as smoke haze and air quality.
The current and expected health impacts of climate change include:
- Injury, illness or death due to extreme weather events, including bushfires, heatwaves, and floods
- An increase in heart and breathing diseases due to increased aeroallergens and air pollution
- Food and water insecurity due to reduced crops and bad quality water , resulting from changing weather patterns
- An increase in diseases carried by insects (e.g. dengue fever), as a result of warmer weather and changing rainfall patterns
- Mental health impacts from extreme weather events and/or changing environments as well as their associated social and economic impacts
(Source: Climate and Health Alliance)
How is climate change impacting Mornington Peninsula communities?
In 2021, the Shire partnered with Jesuit Social Services and RMIT to identify climate change risks to the health and wellbeing of the Mornington Peninsula community. The investigation looked at the physical impacts of climate change, vulnerable populations, current community services and factors that influence an individual’s exposure to climate change. The report also made recommendations for future planning to improve the health and wellbeing outcomes for our community.
This valuable information was used to inform the Shire’s Council and Wellbeing Plan will also be used to inform the Shire’s detailed Health and Wellbeing Action Plans and future programs for the community.
Find a summary of the Investigation into the Climate change impacts on health and wellbeing in the Mornington Peninsula Shire below.
Download: Climate change impacts on Health and Wellbeing in the Mornington Peninsula Shire
Find out more about Climate change in the Mornington Peninsula Shire.
Find out more about the impacts of Climate change on health and wellbeing in Victoria.
Tell us how climate change is impacting your health
We are interested in finding out how climate change is impacting your health and what information or support would help you build resilience to the impacts of climate change. Tell us your thoughts by filling in our short survey.
Complete the survey