Liquor Licence Approvals & Requirements

What type of planning approval is required?

The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) issues liquor licences in accordance with the Liquor Control Reform Act 1988.

Under the provisions of this Act, a liquor licence may only be granted if the relevant planning permission has been obtained from the Shire.

The Mornington Peninsula Planning Scheme states that planning permits are generally required to use land to sell or consume liquor if any of the following apply:

  • A licence is required under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1988
  • A different licence, or class of licence is required from that which is currently in force
  • The hours of trading allowed under any licence are proposed to be extended
  • The number of patrons allowed under a licence is to be increased
  • The area that liquor is allowed to be consumed or supplied under a licence is to be increased

Applying for a planning permit to sell or consume liquor

The following information (as a minimum) should be submitted together with a completed planning application form:

  • The type of liquor licence
  • Existing and / or proposed hours of trade
  • Existing and / or proposed maximum number of patrons
  • A current copy of the Certificate of Title for the land
  • Any current planning permits which apply to the land
  • The current application fee

In addition to this information, a copy of the following plans are required:

  • site plan showing a line nominating the building, property or area you would like to licence. If applicable, the outdoor dining facility area, showing the location of tables and chairs in accordance with the Shire's Commercial Activities on Footpath Policy
  • floor plan showing a red line outlining or marking the proposed area to be licensed, including storerooms and kitchen areas (clearly defining existing licensed areas and proposed licensed areas)

The VCGLR has a Liquor Licensing fact sheet which provides a red line plan example, this can be viewed at the following link:

VCGLR - Liquor Licensing Fact Sheet


What if I want to serve liquor to tables on the footpath?

You will need to obtain consent (in the form of a Footpath Licence) from Mornington Peninsula Shire to occupy the land.

The footpath licence is a legal agreement between the Shire and the business operator and will incur an annual 'rental' fee.

For more information on applying for permission to use the footpath for outdoor dining with liquor, refer to our Commercial Activities on Footpaths page.

Further information

For further information on the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation, refer to the following link: