This Local Law is the General Purposes Local Law of the Mornington Peninsula Shire.
The objectives of this Local Law are to regulate uses and activities to:
- provide for the peace, order and good government of the Municipal District of Mornington Peninsula Shire
- promote a physical and social environment in which residents and visitors to the Municipal District can enjoy a quality of life that meets the general expectations of the community
- prevent and suppress nuisances which may adversely affect the enjoyment of life within the Municipal District or the health, safety and welfare of persons within the Municipal District
- prohibit, regulate and control activities which may be dangerous or unsafe or detrimental to a person's health, amenity or the environment
- provide for fair access and use of Shire and community assets and prescribe measures to protect those assets
- prescribe requirements for the administration and enforcement of the Local Law
For information regarding Local Law Permits, please see our Local Law Permits page.
Download: General Purposes Local Law - 2012(PDF, 8MB)
The Building and Works Code of Practice, by reference, forms part of the General Purposes Local Law.
Download: Building and Works Code of Practice(PDF, 77KB).
Other attachments referred to in the General Purposes Local Law include:
Whilst the Shire may be able to action issues regarding noise, any action taken will be in line with the EPA Noise Control Guidelines. You can find more information on these guidelines on the EPA Website. You can also obtain advice regarding residential noise on the EPA Website.
This Local Law is the Consumption of Liquor Local Law of Mornington Peninsula Shire.
The objectives of this Local Law are to:
- Regulate and control the consumption of alcohol in designated areas, and prohibit the possession of alcohol in other areas, within the Municipal District
- Protect against behaviour which causes detriment to the amenity and environment of the Municipal District
- Protect the community interest
- Provide for the enforcement of this Local Law, including issue of infringement notices, noting that enforcement of this Local Law would usually be the role of Members of the Victoria Police
- Provide generally for the administration of Shire’s powers and functions
- Lead and educate the public as to what is, and what is not, appropriate behaviour
- Provide generally for the peace, order and good government of the Municipal District.
Download: Local Law Consumption of Liquor(PDF, 3MB)
The purpose and general purport of this proposed Local Law is:
- Regulate and control the use of short stay rental accommodation within the Municipal District of Mornington Peninsula Shire Council;
- Ensure an appropriate standard of management and presentation of such;
- Minimise the risk of such accommodation affecting the peace of neighbours;
- Implement a registration requirement; and
- Provide for a Code of Conduct under the Local Law
Find out more about the Short Stay Rental Accommodation Local Law on our Short Stay Accommodation page.
This Local Law is the Meetings Procedures and Common Seal Local Law of Mornington Peninsula Shire Council. (Incorporating the Meetings Procedure Protocol and Procedure for Election of Mayor)
The objectives of this Local Law are to:
- Provide a mechanism to facilitate the good government of Mornington Peninsula Shire through its formal meetings procedure to ensure effective and efficient Council decisions are made in a manner which promotes the effectiveness of Local Government in Mornington Peninsula community and within the Australian system of Government
- Promote and encourage community leadership by Mornington Peninsula Shire, consistent with the community's views and expectations
- Promote and encourage community participation in Local Government
- Regulate and govern the:
- Use of Council’s Common Seal
- Procedure for election of Mayor and any Deputy Mayor
- Way in which meetings of the Council, special committees and advisory committees of the Council are conducted
Download: Council Meeting Procedures and Common Seal Local Law and other protocols(PDF, 667KB)
Download: (PDF, 562KB)Governance-Rules-Meetings-Procedure-Election-Period-and-Conflict-of-Interest-adopted-25-August-2020.pdf(PDF, 562KB)