General Purposes Local Law
This Local Law is the General Purposes Local Law of the Mornington Peninsula Shire.
The objectives of this Local Law are to regulate uses and activities to:
- provide for the peace, order and good government of the Municipal District of the Mornington Peninsula Shire;
- promote a physical and social environment in which residents and visitors to the Municipal District can enjoy a quality of life that meets the general expectations of the community;
- prevent and suppress nuisances which may adversely affect the enjoyment of life within the Municipal District or the health, safety and welfare of persons within the Municipal District;
- prohibit, regulate and control activities which may be dangerous or unsafe or detrimental to a person's health, amenity or the environment;
- provide for fair access and use of Shire and community assets and prescribe measures to protect those assets; and
- prescribe requirements for the administration and enforcement of the Local Law.
A permit for keeping additional animals on your property General Purposes Local Law Application(DOC, 1MB)
Download: General Purposes Local Law - 2012(PDF, 8MB)
This Local Law is the Consumption of Liquor Local Law of the Mornington Peninsula Shire.
The objectives of this Local Law are to:
- Regulate and control the consumption of alcohol in designated areas, and prohibit the possession of alcohol in other areas, within the Municipal District;
- Protect against behaviour which causes detriment to the amenity and environment of the Municipal District;
- Protect the community interest;
- Provide for the enforcement of this Local Law, including issue of infringement notices, noting that enforcement of this Local Law would usually be the role of Members of the Victoria Police;
- Provide generally for the administration of Shire’s powers and functions;
- Lead and educate the public as to what is, and what is not, appropriate behaviour; and
- Provide generally for the peace, order and good government of the Municipal District.
Please note: there is currently a proposed amendment to the consumption of liquor local law. For further details please visit our Have Your Say Page for further details.
Download Fact File: Local Law Consumption of Liquor(PDF, 4MB)
This Local Law is the Meetings Procedures and Common Seal Local Law of the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council. (Incorporating the Meetings Procedure Protocol and Procedure for Election of Mayor)
The objectives of this Local Law are to:
- Provide a mechanism to facilitate the good government of the Mornington Peninsula Shire through its formal meetings procedure to ensure effective and efficient Council decisions are made in a manner which promotes the effectiveness of Local Government in the Mornington Peninsula community and within the Australian system of Government;
- Promote and encourage community leadership by the Mornington Peninsula Shire, consistent with the community's views and expectations;
- Promote and encourage community participation in Local Government; and
- Regulate and govern the:
- Use of Council’s Common Seal;
- Procedure for election of Mayor and any Deputy Mayor; and
- Way in which meetings of the Council, special committees and advisory committees of the Council are conducted.
Download Council Meeting Procedures and Common Seal Local Law and other protocols(PDF, 419KB)
- Download General Purposes Local Law Application(DOC, 1MB)
- A permit for keeping additional animals on your property General Purposes Local Law Application(DOC, 1MB)
- Download Signage Policy and Application Forms 2012(PDF, 3MB)
- A permit application for Busking is required please view Busking Information(DOC, 51KB) Fact File and Busking Permit Application(DOC, 76KB) Fact File.
- A permit application for Recreational Vehicles Recreational Vehicles(DOC, 53KB) Fact File and Recreational Vehicles Application Form(PDF, 32KB)
- Fact File: Bulk Waste Bins(DOC, 57KB) This fact file also refers to these two forms - the Bin Skip Placement Application Form(DOCX, 63KB) and the Waste Management Supplier Accreditation Form(DOCX, 73KB) and the .
- Fact File: Infringement Dogs and Cats(DOC, 73KB)
- Fact File: Fines(DOC, 51KB)
- Fact File: Parking Infringements(DOC, 70KB)
- General Purposes Amendment Local Law - Use of Recreational Vehicles(PDF, 114KB)
- (PDF, 114KB)Commercial Activities - Footpaths - Policy - updated 2008(PDF, 890KB)
- (PDF, 890KB)Building Works Code of Practice(PDF, 77KB)
The purpose and general purport of this proposed Local Law is:
- Regulate and control the use of short stay rental accommodation within the Municipal District of the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council;
- Ensure an appropriate standard of management and presentation of such;
- Minimise the risk of such accommodation affecting the peace of neighbours;
- Implement a registration requirement; and
- Provide for a Code of Conduct under the Local Law
A copy of the proposed Local Law is on display at Council’s Customer Service Centre’s at the following locations:
- 90 Besgrove Street, Rosebud 3939 - 8.30am to 5.00pm;
- 2 Queen Street, Mornington 3931 - 8.30am to 5.00pm;
- 21 Marine Parade, Hastings 3915 – 8.30am to 5.00pm;
- 1085 Frankston Flinders Road Somerville 3912 (within Somerville Library) 10.00am to 5.00pm.
and available for download:
Short Stay Rental Accommodation Local Law Draft(PDF, 194KB)
Short Stay Rental Accommodation Code of Conduct Draft(PDF, 174KB)
Any person may make a written submission on the proposed Local Law to Council. Written submissions regarding this proposal will be considered if received by Thursday 7th December 2017. To view details of how to make a submission, or to make an online submission please visit our Have Your Say page.