Vehicle Crossing Permit

Do I need a Vehicle Crossing Permit?

It is a requirement of the Shire’s General Purposes Local Law 9. Works on Council Land or Roads to obtain a permit to construct, remove, alter or upgrade a vehicle crossing and a requirement of the Road Management Act 2004 to obtain written consent of the coordinating road authority to conduct any works in, on, under or over a road. For more information on the Shire’s General Purposes Local Law or to access a copy, please see the Local law detail page.

A vehicle crossing is the portion of driveway between the property boundary and the road, including the footpath, kerb and nature strip.

Image shows the portion of driveway between the property boundary and the road, including the footpath, kerb and nature strip. This section of the driveway is the vehicle crossing.

Why do I need a Vehicle Crossing Permit?

The purpose of the permit is to protect public safety, minimise damage to natural and built community assets and to ensure that works comply with the relevant Shire construction standards and specifications. To view or access a copy of the Standard relevant to your proposal, see Section 5 of the Shire’s Civil Engineering Standard Drawings.

An Authorised Officer will conduct inspections for the duration of the permit to monitor compliance with the permit and any associated conditions, check that public safety is not impacted by the works and to ensure that any damage is repaired and paid for.

Do I need any other Permits or Approvals?

A Planning Permit is required to construct a vehicle crossing or change an existing vehicle crossing that accesses a VicRoads Declared Road. To check if your road is a VicRoads Declared Road, see the map of VicRoads Declared Roads(PDF, 802KB). For more information on how to apply for a Planning Permit, see Lodging a Planning Application. Once the Planning Permit has been issued for the vehicle crossing, you will then need to apply for the Vehicle Crossing Permit to conduct the works.

A Planning Permit may be required if your property has a Heritage Overlay. To find out if a Heritage Overlay applies to your property, see Planning Advice.

You might need to submit a Traffic Management Plan to the Shire for review and approval e.g. for road closures or traffic detours. If your works are on a VicRoads Declared Road, you must comply with VicRoads traffic management requirements. For more information on when a Traffic Management Plan is required, VicRoads requirements and how to submit an assessment, please see Traffic Management Plans.

Application Process

Step 1.Site Plan

You will need to submit a Site Plan with your application showing the location of:

  • The property frontage
  • Dimensions of the proposed vehicle crossing
  • Distance of the proposed vehicle crossing from the neighbouring property boundaries
  • Nearby streets
  • Any existing crossovers
  • All existing assets, such as trees, drainage pits, power poles, etc.

Note: Photographs will not be accepted as a substitute for a site plan.

Step 2.Submit your Application

Complete and submit your application. You will be required to provide:

  • Property and contractor details
  • Period of works
  • Type of vehicle crossing
  • Planning Permit number (if applicable)
  • Attach a Site Plan
  • Attach a Traffic Management Plan (if required)
  • Pay permit fee

No works can begin, including excavation, boxing and reinforcement, until a permit has been issued and all conditions have been met. If any works begin before a Permit is issued enforcement action will be taken, which can include issuing notices, suspending works, fines, the possibility of court proceedings and may result in removal of the crossing.

Apply and Pay Online

Step 3.Preliminary Site Inspection

Once your application is received, an Authorised Officer will conduct a site visit to assess the proposal. The Authorised Officer may request additional information and documentation before finalising the assessment. The application may be approved, approved with conditions or declined.

Step 4.Permit Issued

If the application is approved, a Permit will be issued (including any additional conditions that apply) as soon as possible but depending on the complexity of the application e.g. planning and design considerations, it may take up to 10 business days to finalise your application.

Step 5.Pre-pour Inspection

As a condition of the permit, you are required to book a pre-pour inspection providing a minimum full 24-hours notice. As a result of increased building activity, we seek your cooperation in providing at least 48-hours notice. The Authorised Officer will inspect compliance with the relevant Shire Standard and Permit conditions.

To request an inspection, please complete the online form.

Request an Inspection

Step 6.Post-pour Inspection

The Authorised Officer will inspect the completed works for:

  • Compliance with the relevant Shire Standard and Permit conditions
  • Reinstatement of the Road Reserve to the original condition
  • Any damage to Council assets within the road reserve
  • Any public safety issues created by the works

If any issues are identified at the post-pour inspection, the Authorised Officer will make contact with the responsible person. If no issues are identified, there will be no further contact.