Extended Outdoor Dining

Mornington Peninsula Shire has opened applications for a free, temporary Outdoor Dining Permit to use extra footpath space, parking space or street space for outdoor dining and takeaway. 

Basic short term parklet permits will be available until 31 January 2021, with extended footpath permits and longer term parklets available until 30 April 2021. The Shire may review and extend the program after Easter. 

Online application

Step 1.Check eligibility, guidelines and conditions

You are eligible for an Outdoor Dining Permit if your business: 

  • is a registered food business with a compliant working kitchen or food preparation area under with the Food Act 1984, and 
  • either provides table service or cleaning for take away and waiting areas.  

All eligible businesses must meet certain practical and safety requirements. Make sure that you read and understand: 

If you think your Outdoor Dining Area complies, get ready to apply! 

Step 2.Decide how to use your space

You can use the footpath or parking bays for:

  • seated table service
  • seating for takeaway or waiting
  • physical distancing space for your customers to stand in line while allowing pedestrian clearance.

If you want to use parking bays, measure how many metres along the curb you want to use. If you want to install a deck platform or other structure, check out our options for a longer term parklet and follow the Design Guidelines.(PDF, 1MB)

Step 3.Talk to your neighbours to use their space 

If you want to use space in front of a neighbouring property, you will need permission from the current occupier. If they agree, you will need to include their permission in your application form. If the tenant or use changes, you will need to seek permission from the new occupant, or your permit may be revoked. 

Step 4.Check your insurance coverage

You must have at least $20,000,000 public liability insurance in respect of the outdoor dining activities in the outdoor dining area and naming Mornington Peninsula Shire as an interested party. 

Step 5.Lodge your application

Apply Online 

What happens next? 

We will contact you if we need further information for your permit application or to discuss the site, layout, or design of your footpath or parklet and any requirements around installation of a structure. 

You must not use a parklet until your permit is approved and traffic bollards or barriers and screens are in place. Council contractors will install the necessary barriers depending on your site. 

We may ask you to take a picture of your space and email it to us. 

If you require financial assistance to set up your outdoor dining facilities, the State Government is providing $5,000 Outdoor Dining and Entertainment Grants for eligible licensed and unlicensed hospitality businesses, including restaurants, cafes, pubs/taverns, bars, clubs and takeaway food venues. You can apply for a grant to pay for practical things like umbrellas, outdoor furniture, screens and other equipment and also use the grants for training, marketing and other costs of adapting new, expanded or enhanced outdoor dining.

Please note that applications are open until funds are exhausted or until 11.59 pm on 11 December 2020, whichever is earlier, so I suggest you apply soon.

The outbreak of coronavirus and the need to keep physically distant from others is a stressful time for everyone. For information and resources to assist with mental health and wellbeing during coronavirus, check our Coronavirus health and wellbeing page.

If you propose to design your own parklet, please see the Design Guidelines(PDF, 1MB) for requirements and reference the Shire’s standard engineering detail for parklet timber deck structures(PDF, 175KB) .