**Following the declaration by the Victorian Government of a State of Emergency in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic the Mornington Peninsula Shire has made a number of decisions to ensure the safety of our community. 

To protect our community, particularly those who are more vulnerable, and do our part to flatten the curve of this pandemic, we are postponing, cancelling or modifying delivery of non-essential services, programs, events and activities. 

As a result, we advise that the Event Permits team will not be issuing any event, filming, street stall, wedding or signage permits until further notice.**



To host a wedding ceremony in a public open space managed by Mornington Peninsula Shire, you are required to apply for a wedding permit.

To check availability for the space your are considering, please contact the Events Team on 1300 850 600 or

Apply and pay online 

Please note:

  • For ceremonies on a back beach please contact Parks Victoria on for a wedding permit. Shire approval does not apply.
  • For ceremonies planned on Western Port Bay, approval must be sought from the relevant Committee of Management.

Frequently Asked Questions


Low Season: 1 May - 30 September. A $250.00 fee payable upon submission of your application.

High Season: 1 October - 30 April. A $375.00 fee payable upon submission of your application.


Temporary structures cannot be erected in public open space. Market umbrellas are allowed, these are to be weighted as pegging is strictly prohibited.

Food and Alcohol

Food can only be served to those patrons attending your wedding. If your wedding is conducted in an alcohol exclusion zone as per the ‘Local Law Consumption of Liquor’, it is strictly prohibited to serve alcohol at your wedding.


Materials such as confetti, rose petals or rice are not permitted as they can have an adverse effect to surrounding buildings, plants and trees.

Bali flags/arches/chairs

Two Bali flags can be used. These should be secured with weights as it is strictly prohibited to peg into any ground.
Naked flame torches are strictly prohibited 365 days of the year.
A limit of twenty chairs and one arch is permitted, arch to be secured with weights as pegging is strictly prohibited.

Car parking

Car parks cannot be reserved for any activity, local parking rules will apply and infringements may be issued.


Any vehicles, including bridal vehicles cannot enter any open space, beach or park.

Exclusive space

The Crown Land (Reserves) Act does not allow for exclusive use of the space or for an area to be physically cordoned off from the public.


Permission is not required from Shire, however, if you wish to ensure a particular location is available at the date and time you require, Shire recommends submitting the attached application form to ensure that no other weddings are booked into the space.