Situated at Mount Martha on the Mornington Peninsula, The Briars is a beautiful conservation site comprising of a wildlife sanctuary, heritage homestead, nursery, eco-living display centre, eco-camp, eateries and astronomy centre.
Where: 450 Nepean Highway, Mt Martha 3934. See map.
View our Facebook page for The Briars.
450 Nepean Highway
Mount Martha VIC 3934
Phone: 5974 3686
Shire (Briars) Nursery
Phone: 5974 8417
Open every day of the year 9am to 5pm
Open Christmas Eve from 9am to 12pm
Closed Christmas Day and days of Code Red Fire Danger
The Wildlife Sanctuary is closed on days of Total Fire Ban or on days of severe weather warnings. Please watch Facebook for updates.
THE SHIRE (BRIARS) NURSERY
Open Wednesday - Friday 9am to 3.30pm
Open first Saturday of the month 9am to 1pm
The Briars offers a range of experiences including:
- Wildlife sanctuary with various walking trails
- Beautiful historic gardens including a heritage vegetable garden
- Heritage breed farm animals
- School holiday activities including the Junior Ranger Program and After-dark Wildlife Walks
- BBQ and picnic areas
- Shire Nursery (native and indigenous plants)
- Guided tours of the Historic Homestead
- Angus & Rose Café
- Josephine's Restaurant
- Balcombe Estuary Boardwalk between Mount Martha and the Briars
- Eco Living Display Centre
- Briars Outdoor Education Camp
- Astronomy Centre
Drop into The Briars Visitor Centre to explore the wildlife displays, relax in front of the fireplace or do some colouring in the children's space. Try some bird watching at our bird hides and try to spot koalas, wallabies, kangaroos and other wildlife in the Sanctuary.
Walking Trails please visit our section on The Briars Walking Trails.
Take a guided tour of the historic homestead with one of our knowledgeable volunteer guides. Please note there is no tour or homestead access available if a volunteer guide is not on duty. Please call prior to your visit to ensure tours are available on the day you wish to visit.
Relax for a drink and lunch in the picnic area with BBQ facilities or enjoy a meal at Josephine’s Restaurant and take in the view overlooking the Homestead and Wildlife Sanctuary. Browse through the many native and indigenous plants at the Shire Nursery, and explore our sustainable living and gardening at the Eco Living Display Centre.
Visit our section on the Eco Living Display Centre.
- Due to sensitive environments dogs are prohibited from The Briars. Dogs may be walked on lead along Balcombe Creek trail or off lead in the designated areas of the Community Forest
- The Napoleonic Collection has been moved to a secure location and is temporarily unavailable
All abilities access areas:
- The Wetland Walking trail in the Wildlife Sanctuary (300m)
- Balcombe Creek Walkway (800m to Nepean Highway)
- Visitors Centre (disabled toilet inside)
- Historic Homestead, Angus & Rose Café and Josephine's Restaurant
- Eco Living Display Centre