The Briars Historic Homestead is currently closed for maintenance works. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes our guests. We will post re-opening dates on this page. Thank you for your understanding.
Situated at Mount Martha on the Mornington Peninsula, the Briars is a beautiful property comprising of a Wildlife Sanctuary, Heritage Homestead, Nursery, Eco-Living Display Centre, Eco-Camp, eateries and Astonomy Centre.
Where: 450 Nepean Highway, Mt Martha 3934. See map.
View our new Facebook page for The Briars
The Briars offers a range of experiences including:
- Wildlife Sanctuary with various walking trails
- Beautiful historic gardens including a heritage vegetable garden
- Heritage breed farm animals
- Guided tours of the Historic Homestead
- Angus & Rose Coffee and Creativity
- Josephine's Restaurant
- Visitor Information Centre
- Balcombe Estuary Boardwalk between Mt Martha and the Briars
- Eco Living Display Centre
- School holiday activities including Junior Ranger Program and After-dark Wildlife Walks
- BBQ & picnic areas
- Shire Nursery (native & indigenous plants)
- Outdoor Ed Camp
Drop into The Briars Visitor Centre to explore the wildlife displays, relax in front of the fireplace or do some colouring in the children's space. Try some bird watching at our bird hides and try to spot koalas, wallabies, kangaroos and other wildlife in the Sanctuary.
Walking Trails please visit our section on The Briars Walking Trails
Take a guided tour of the historic homestead with one of our knowledgeable volunteer guides. Please note there is no tour or homesteadaccess available if a volunteer guide is not on duty. Please call prior to your visit to ensure tours are available on the day you wish to visit.
Relax for a drink and lunch in the picnic area with BBQ facilities or enjoy a meal at Josephine’s Restaurant and take in the view overlooking the Homestead and Wildlife Sanctuary. Browse through the many native and indigenous plants at the Shire Nursery, and explore our sustainable living and gardening at the Eco Living Display Centre.
Visit our section on the Eco Living Display Centre
- Due to sensitive environments dogs are prohibited from the Briars. Dogs may be walked on lead along Balcombe creek trail or off lead in the designated areas of the Community Forest.
- The Napoleonic Collection has been moved to a secure location and is temporarily unavailable.
All abilities access areas:
- The Wetland Walking trail in the Wildlife Sanctuary (300m)
- Balcombe Creek Walkway (800m to Nepean Highway)
- Visitors Centre (disabled toilet inside)
- Historic Homestead, Angus & Rose Café and Josephine's Restaurant
- Eco Living Display Centre
The Briars | 450 Nepean Highway |Mt Martha 3934
Ph: 5974 3686
For hire requests, contact Buildings & Facilities on 5950 1150 or email email@example.com
Open every day of the year 9am to 5pm (including Saturday & Sunday, most public holidays)
Closed Christmas Day, New Year's Day and days of Code Red Fire Danger.
The Wildlife Sanctuary is closed on days of Total Fire Ban or when the wind speed exceeds 35km / hr.