What are we doing to protect biodiversity?
The Shire undertakes a range of actions that support biodiversity conservation on the peninsula, including:
- Managing the Shire’s 250 bushland reserves to protect and enhance biodiversity.
- Supporting the work of friends groups, conservation groups and Landcare groups.
- Offering a Land Sustainability Rebate for eligible properties.
- Providing a range of biodiversity-related guides.
- Supporting citizen science projects.
- Stocking a great range of local native plants at the Shire Nursery, as well as providing advice on plants suitable for your property.
- Working cooperatively with other public land managers in the region including Melbourne Water, Parks Victoria and the Port Phillip and Western Port Catchment Management Authority.
- Enhancing knowledge through research and monitoring projects. Download the Mornington Peninsula Biodiversity: Survey and Research Highlights(PDF, 5MB) publication to find out more.
- Developing a Biodiversity Conservation Plan for the Mornington Peninsula.