Wandering Cats

Mornington Peninsula Shire has a 24-hour cat curfew. Cats must be contained to the owner's property at all times. 

What are your options for dealing with a wandering or trespassing cat when it enters your property?

First you need to establish whether the cat has an owner or if it is a stray/ownerless cat. Watch the cat and try to establish where it resides or ask your neighbours to help identify where the cat comes from.

If you find the cat’s owner, you may:

  1. Approach the cat’s owner and explain the problem. The owner may not be aware of the situation; or
  2. If the owner is unapproachable or you are not comfortable approaching them, try placing the “Dear Neighbour” letter (found on page 5 of the Wandering Cat booklet(PDF, 121KB)) into their letter box.

If these options do not resolve your concern, or you cannot find the cat’s owner you may contact Community Safety on 5950 1434 to arrange an officer assisted use of a cat trap.

Conditions of loaning a cat trap include:
  • The cat trap use is for a 2-week period.
  • An Officer will contact you to arrange deliver of the trap. It is a requirement that someone is home to collect the trap from the Officer when it is delivered to sign the Cat Trap Agreement. Someone must also be there when the officer returns to collect the cat trap. 
  • You may only set the cat trap from Sunday evening to Thursday evening.
  • Rangers will only collect cats Monday - Friday between the hours of 8.30am-3.30pm excluding Public Holidays 
  • There is no collection service available on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays and the trap must not be used.
  • Under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 and various industry Codes of Practice, the handling and treatment of the cat is the responsibility of the person trapping.

If you would like to arrange for the loan of a cat trap, please contact Community Safety during business hours on 5950 1434.

For more information download a copy of the Wandering Cat booklet.(PDF, 121KB)