130 Watt Road, Mornington
Our Animal Shelter remains open, but we have modified the service we deliver in accordance with third step restrictions:
- Lost pets will continue to be reunited with their owners.
- Pet owners who attend the Shelter to be reunited with their pets, must
- enter the building one at a time;
- wear a face covering;
- use hand sanitiser provided when entering the building;
- comply with social distancing requirements; and
- complete an Attendance Register.
- Our adoption program will continue operating, utilising online and telephone communications. Adoption meet and greets will be organised through appointments only.
- Our cat trapping program has been reinstated – requests from customers on waiting lists will be prioritised.
The Mornington Peninsula Shire Community Animal Shelter & Pound has been caring for cats, dogs and the occasional livestock for more than 30 years.
The Shelter and Pound are open to the public 363 days per year (except Christmas Day and Easter Good Friday) Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturday & Sunday 10am - 4pm.
Customers can make an appointment if preferred when arranging the release of an impounded animal or the adoption of an animal as there is a certain amount of documentation to be completed and this can shorten the process time.
Anyone wanting to adopt a cat or dog from the Shelter is welcome to do so, pets available for adoption are listed on the Adopt A Pet page and also the Pet Rescue website.
We place a high priority on the welfare of lost pets and work to re-home all unclaimed animals.
The Shire manages the Community Animal Shelter and the Animal Pound in accordance with the Code of Practice for the Management of Dogs and Cats in Shelters and Pounds..