Transfer or Purchase an Existing Food Business

If you are purchasing or transferring the registration of an existing food business, you will still need to apply to transfer the registration. Similar to applying for a new registration, there are a few things you should know before taking on a new business. You can find further information on the requirements for food businesses in our Food Business section.

Once you're ready to apply, here are the steps you'll need to follow:

Transfer an Existing Food Business Registration

Step 1.Make sure you've got all of the information

There are quite a few different types of Food Premises, and a lot of things to know before applying to register one. More information about general requirements can be found on our Food Business Requirements page.

For a list of some other places you may want to check before taking over a registered business, see the “Getting All of the Information” tab at the bottom of the page.

Step 2.Organise a Pre-Purchase Inspection

Under the Food Act, an inspection of any food premises by Council is required before the registration can be transferred to the new proprietor. It is recommended that you arrange an inspection of the business prior to purchase.

Apply Online

Alternatively, you can download the application for a pre-purchase inspection for a food business(PDF, 146KB). Fill the form out and post or email it to the Shire and make payment over the phone. Please see our contact us page for email, postal and phone details.  

Step 3.Collect everything to submit with your application

Make sure you’ve got everything you need before applying. This includes any other permits you might require. See the "Required Information and Documents Checklist" tab below for further information.

Step 4.Lodge your application

Apply Online

Alternatively, you can download the application to transfer a registered business form(PDF, 154KB). Fill the form out and post or email it along with the required documents to the Shire and make payment over the phone. Please see our contact us page for email, postal and phone details. 

Step 5.What happens next?

Once your application has been received, along with the application fee and any required documents you will be advised once the premises has been transferred. The premises will then be registered until 31 December. Registrations are required to be renewed each year. An invitation to renew your business registration will be sent towards the end of the year explaining how to renew your business.

Further information can be obtained from:

  • The Shire's Environmental Health Team
    • As the officers that will be approving and inspecting your premises, the Environmental Health Team can assist with any questions. You may also want to submit scaled plans for an assessment by an Environmental Health Officer. It is recommended that you do not begin any work on your premises prior to the approval of your plans to prevent costly mistakes.
  • A Private Building Surveyor
    • If you're planning to fit out a shop front or alter a building to make way for your new business, you may require a building permit. Please note that the Mornington Peninsula Shire does not issue building permits, these are issued through Private Building Surveyors.
  • The Shire's Planning Services Team
    • Depending on what (and where) you're proposing to do as part of your business, you may also need a planning permit. More information regarding this can be found on our Do I need a planning permit? page.
  •  The Shire's Property Team
    • Food trucks operating on the Mornington Peninsula may need an itinerant traders permit. More information regarding this can be found on our Mobile Food Vans / Itinerant Trading page.
    • If you are looking to have your business extend onto the footpath (e.g. signs, tables & chairs) you may need to apply for a Commercial Activity on Footpath permit. More information regarding this permit can be found on our Commercial Activities on Footpaths page.
  • South East Water
    • South East Water can discuss sewerage and grease trap requirements (this may be particularly important for Domestic Kitchens that aren't already set up with this). If sewer is not available, you should contact an Environmental Health officer to discuss septic tank requirements.
  • Business Victoria

When you're ready to apply, please make sure you have the following information and documents ready:

  • The class of the business
  • A photocopy of the driver's license (both sides) of the proposed proprietor/s OR if registering under a company name, a printout of the company detail from ASIC
  • A copy of scaled plans that comply with Australian Standard Design, Construction and Fit-out of Food Premises AS 4674-2004
  • A completed menu and brief description of the business
  • Details of the Food Safety Program (Class 1 or 2 business)
  • Copy of the Food Safety Supervisor Training Certificate (Class 1 or 2 business)
  • Details of the DHHS Approved Food Auditor (Class 1 business)
  • Make and model of vehicle (If registering a Food Vehicle)
  • Food vehicle RTA registration number (If registering a Food Vehicle)