FoodTrader and Temporary Food Permits

In Victoria, all food premises are required to have a Food Act registration from their registering council before selling food. This includes fixed premises, such as cafes and restaurants – but also temporary and mobile food premises such as a market stall, community BBQ or a food van.

FoodTrader is the online system for businesses and community groups to register and notify their temporary and mobile food premises with their registering council. For some more information regarding FoodTrader visit the FoodTrader website.

If you're having a sausage sizzle, selling food at a market stall, or selling food from a food truck, you'll have to be registered with FoodTrader. You'll also need to lodge a Statement of Trade each time you are selling food. Here's how you go about it:

Registering and lodging a Statement of Trader through FoodTrader

Step 1.Register with FoodTrader

First, you'll need to register on FoodTrader. Instructions on how to do this can be found on the FoodTrader website.

Step 2.Lodge a Statement of Trade

Once you're registered, you will need to lodge a statement of trade for each event you attend. 

Information on how to lodge a Statement of Trade on FoodTrader can be found on the FoodTrader website.

The details of the event will then come to us for approval. Once approved, you will be notified and receive a copy of your approved Statement of Trade.

Step 3.Renew your Registration

Registrations with FoodTrader are annual and you will have to renew your registration each year when prompted. More information on renewing your registration can be found on the FoodTrader website.