Walk to School - Treasure hunt and competition
Mornington Peninsula Primary students are walking to school this November
Start the day in the best possible way by walking, scooting or riding to school.
As part of VicHealth’s Walk to School Program, the Mornington Peninsula Shire in partnership with Peninsula Health and Belgravia Leisure, is hosting a nature-based treasure hunt and creative photo initiative for primary school children during November.
To participate, children are encouraged to take a creative photo of something they see outdoors during their walk, ride or scoot to and from school and share it on Instagram. Listed below is a different creative photo theme for each week of November.
Week one (2 – 6 November): Something living
Photograph something living on your walk to school. It could be a plant, an animal, a flower or an insect.
Week two (9 – 13 November): Look up
Photograph what you see when you look up on your walk to school. Take a moment to stop, take in your surroundings and look up at the wonderful things above you.
Week three (16 – 20 November): Shapes in nature
Photograph shapes you see in nature on your walk to school. Nature is a truly amazing thing! It is home to many different colours, textures and smells. Sometimes you can even see hidden shapes, such as a rainbow forming a perfect semi-circle, a leaf in the shape of a tear drop, or a perfectly round full moon.
Week four (23 – 27 November): Tessellations
Photograph tessellations on your walk to school. Tessellations are repeating shapes that fit together without any gaps. The centre of a sunflower or a brick fence are great examples.
To enter follow these simple steps:
- Parents/guardians upload their child’s photo to Instagram using the hashtags #walkmornpen and #walktoschool and tagging @walktoschool and @ourpeninsula
- Include the child’s first name and year level in the photo caption
- Ensure your Instagram profile is set to ‘public’ so your photos can be seen by the team at the Shire.
At the end of each week, Mornington Peninsula Shire will share a shortlist of the most creative photos on their Instagram account @ourpeninsula encouraging community members to vote for their favourite picture. The entry with the most votes will win a box of fresh fruit and vegetables from local farm gates.
For more fun ways to get involved in Walk to School month, visit walktoschool.vic.gov.au
Competition terms and conditions
- The photo competition is open to participants currently residing in Australia only.
- Photos must be shared between 2 – 27 November 2020.
- Accounts must be public during the competition.
- Photos must be shared on Instagram using the hashtags #walkmornpen and #walktoschool and tagging @walktoschool and @ourpeninsula to qualify as an entry.
- The entrant must have permission to share the photo.
- Winners will be contacted via their social media account.
- Prize includes 1 x local fruit and vegetable box with COVID safe delivery or pick up.
- The promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram.
Sunday, 01 November 2020 | 12:00 AM
- Monday, 30 November 2020 | 12:00 AM