Public Health & Wellbeing Act


Public Health & Wellbeing Act Premises (Hairdressing, Beauty Therapy, Skin Penetration)

The Shire’s Environmental Health Team  registers and inspects all hairdressing, skin penetration, tattooing, beauty therapy, and ear piercing and electrolysis businesses within the Shire.

From 1 March 2016, eligible businesses – those that solely provide hairdressing and/or low risk beauty therapy services at their premises – will be able to apply for "on-going" registration.

Environmental health officers inspect these premises to ensure they operate in accordance with guidelines produced by the Department of Health. A copy of these guidelines can be found on the Victorian Government Health Regulations website

All new hairdressing, skin penetration, tattooing, beauty therapy, electrolysis and ear piercing businesses must register with Council before beginning operation. This process involves submitting plans and specifications, completing a registration application form, and undergoing a final inspection before the new business can begin operating.

Unsafe or unhygienic practices within commercial businesses can affect the health of clients, the health of the operator and can aid in the spread of infectious disease. Procedures including the penetration of the skin, if not managed correctly, can be the means of transmitting organisms that cause disease like AIDS and Hepatitis B.

Under the provisions of the Chinese Medicine Registration Act 2000, acupuncturists are required to be registered with the Chinese Medical Registration Board of Victoria. For information concerning acupuncturists contact the Chinese Medical Registration Board on: (03) 9499 3800

2.Prescribed Accommodation

Prescribed accommodation premises are premises where more than five persons (who are not part of the proprietor's family) are accommodated must be registered with Council under the Public Health and Well Being Act 2008.

Premises which must be registered as prescribed accommodation include:

  • Residential accommodation
  • Hotels and motels
  • Hostels
  • Student dormitories
  • Holiday camps

Rooming Houses

New Rooming House regulations have been made that include a suite of 11 new standards for rooming houses, which focus on improving privacy, safety and amenity for rooming house residents. The new standards will be enforced by Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) from 31 March 2013

The Department of Health & Human Services and the Shire are working with Consumer Affairs Victoria to regulate and improve conditions in Victoria's private rooming house market and to create more not-for-profit rooming house accommodation.

Residents of a rooming or boarding house have an individual agreement with their rooming house owner/manager and only have exclusive possession to their room with a right to shared access to communal facilities such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundries and living areas.

Prescribed accommodation which includes rooming houses must be inspected by Council prior to registration. The prescribed accommodation registration form is available for download from our Health Forms section. 

3.Caravan Parks

All Caravan Parks must be registered with the Shire in accordance with the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2010.


The Shire’s Environmental Health Team monitors the standards which include Fire and Emergency Management, hygiene, sanitation and cleanliness of caravan parks and camping grounds in the Shire.

To legally operate a caravan park, the registrations of the premises must be transferred from the name of the existing licensee to the name of the proposed purchaser.

Before Purchasing a Caravan Park

Before you purchase a caravan park you should:

  • Check with the Shire's Environmental Health Officer to determine if the business has current registration with Council.
  • Request a transfer inspection of the property to ensure the premises complies with the requirements of the Acts. This request should be in writing from your solicitor.
  • Check that the Park Emergency Management Plan is complete and up to date.

Once the business has been purchased, applicants must apply to the Shire to transfer the registration for the caravan park. The application form to transfer the registration of a caravan park is available for download at our Health Forms section. 

Setting Up a New Caravan Park

The following guidelines can help you set up a new caravan park.

  • Contact Business Victoria for business advice and information
  • Check with the Shire’s Statutory Planning Team that the correct permits are in place for the site
  • Contact the Shire’s Environmental Health Team to discuss your proposal
  • Ensure you are familiar with the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks & Moveable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 1999.
  • If you are planning on having a Kiosk, ensure that it is registered under the Food Act and ensure that you are familiar with food safety requirements. For more information, visit our section on Food Safety
  • If the site does not sewerage a septic tank system must be installed.
  • Submit detailed plans of the proposed premises to the Shire's Environmental Health team.
  • Once the plans have been approved by the Shire, you may begin work on the premises. When works have been completed, the premises will be inspected by a Shire Environmental Health Officer
  • Complete your Emergency Management Plan (this will need to be checked by the Country Fire Authority and Council). Copies of an Emergency Management Plan Template are available from the CFA website

Apply to the Shire to register the caravan park.

For more information on the design and construction of caravan parks and movable dwellings please contact the Shire’s Statutory Building Team on: 1300 850 600.

More information on fire safety and emergency management at caravan parks can be obtained from the Shire’s Fire Prevention Officer on: 1300 850 600 or 5950 1000 or the CFA website  or please contact the Shire’s Environmental Health Team on: 5950 1050.