Applications open 18 January 2021 (9am) and close 26 March 2021 (5pm)
The Shire funds a small grants program each year, to assist owners of heritage places to carry out heritage conservation projects undertaken to appropriate heritage standards.
Individual grants usually range from $1,000 to $2,500 but exceptions to this range may be made in special circumstances.
Council makes the grants on a contributory basis; generally, any grant will not exceed 50 per cent of the total value of any works.
Eligible properties are those covered by an individual Heritage Overlay, or that are significant or contributory to heritage precincts, under the Mornington Peninsula Planning Scheme.
Works must be undertaken to appropriate heritage standards. Sometime modern materials or techniques are not appropriate for a heritage building. Where significant original building fabric survives, the preference is to repair or re-use rather than replace.
- Acceptable works may include any works which preserve or restore the heritage character of the place.
- Heritage character refers to the visual aspects and physical features that comprise the historic appearance of the place. This could include the overall shape of the building, its materials, craftsmanship, decorative details and features. In some circumstances, outbuildings, trees and gardens may also be included, if these are protected by the heritage overlay.
- Preservation means maintaining the place in its existing state and retarding deterioration.
- Restoration means works that return the place to its earlier or original condition.
- The citation on your property contained in the local heritage study should give guidance as to the significant heritage characteristics of your place.
Heritage grant applications for this financial year will be open until 26 March 2021. You need to be sure that the works will be finished by 30 May 2021 so that the grants can be paid by 30 June 2021 (allocated funds will not be carried through to the following financial year).
- 18 January 2021 – Applications open
- 26 March 2021 – Applications close
- 30 May 2021 – All works to be completed for inspection by officers
- 30 June 2021 – Payments to approved grant recipients
How to apply
There are two ways to apply:
For advice on the grants scheme, contact the Shire’s Heritage Planner on 5950 1249 or email email@example.com