National Disability Insurance Scheme on the Mornington Peninsula
Introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of providing support for people with a disability, their families and carers. The NDIS supports people with intellectual, physical, sensory and psycho-social disabilities.
The NDIS is designed to build an individuals skills and capability so they can participate in the community and employment.
The roll out of NDIS for Bayside Mornington Peninsula, commenced on 1 April 2018 and is anticipated to take approximately nine months. For more information about the NDIS, please visit the NDIS website.
Council’s Municipal Disability Leadership Role
With the introduction of NDIS, Council has confirmed that its role in supporting people with a disability, including those who are not eligible for the NDIS, is through advocacy, community capacity building and social inclusion activities.
This includes a range of programs and initiatives such as:
- Current provision of the Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (HACC-PYP) services
- Support to eligible residents in transition to the NDIS
- Development of Shire’s next Disability Action Plan 2018-2022
- Improving access to relevant information
- Monthly email bulletin to families, individuals and services providing information on the NDIS, disability news and events
- Promoting the NDIS information sessions being run by the Brotherhood of St Laurence
- Supporting VALiD, Mental Health services and other advocacy groups to run information sessions and workshops on the NDIS for families and individuals
- Providing advocacy on issues such as transport and housing with the All Abilities Consultative Committee
- Developing inclusive programs in partnership with disability services that allow people with disabilities more choice
- Morn Pen Service Providers Network.
Council has not elected to become an NDIS service provider.
For further information contact Council’s NDIS Transition Officer on 5950 1767.
How does this impact residents currently receiving Council support services?
Residents under 65 years who are currently receiving services from Council can contact the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to determine if they are eligible for services and supports under the NDIS.
Once a resident has been deemed eligible for NDIS, their current services from Council will remain in place until the resident has found a suitable service provider. Council is committed to working closely with all our residents to ensure a smooth transition to the NDIS. Support can be provided through Council’s NDIS Transition Officer to assist with this process. Mornington Peninsula Shire will not be providing services under NDIS.
Current services will remain in place until the resident has been assessed as eligible for the NDIS and their individual support plan is developed and approved. All the disability services and supports a resident is using (including those from Council) will need to be included in their NDIS support plan.
Residents under 65 years who are deemed not eligible for services and supports under NDIS will continue to receive services under the State funded Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (HACC-PYP).
For further information contact Aged & Disability Services on 1300 850 600, or the National Disability Insurance Agency on 1800 800 110.
Brotherhood of St Laurence
The Brotherhood of St Laurence are the partners with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to provide the planning and community connection services as part of NDIS. They also assist in preparing communities for the rollout of the NDIS through outreach, workshops and community engagement.
The Brotherhood of St Laurence works to connect people living with a disability to supports in their community and to provide assistance with the planning processes to ensure that NDIS plans are implemented effectively.
The Brotherhood of St Laurence have offices in Rosebud and Frankston and will be offering regular information sessions across 2018.
For further information about NDIS and how to access it please contact.
National Disability Insurance Agency
- Address GPO Box 700, Canberra ACT 2601
- Phone 1800 800 110
- Website ndis.gov.au
Brotherhood St Laurence - Rosebud
- Address 843 - 849 Point Nepean Rd, Rosebud
- Phone 1300 275 634
- Website ndis.bsl.org.au
Brotherhood St Laurence – Frankston