Master Locksmiths Access Key – MLAK
What is the MLAK system?
The Master Locksmiths Access Key (MLAK) is a system designed to give people with disabilities 24 hour access to a network of public facilities across Australia. MLAK Keys can be purchased from your nearest Master Locksmith or borrowed from a Customer Service Centre of Council and a range of agencies listed below.
MLAK Keys have been fitted to elevators at railway stations, Changing Places Toilets, National Parks and in adaptive playground equipment (Liberty Swing) displaying the MLAK symbol.
How do I purchase an MLAK?
MLAK keys are available for purchase from Business Members of the Master Locksmith Association by anyone with a disability or a carer of someone with disability.
Purchase of the MLAK is however restricted to people with disability with written permission from:
- a doctor
- a disability organisation
- community health centre
To purchase an MLAK complete this MLAK Key Order Form(PDF, 589KB)
How do I borrow an MLAK? Due to COVID-19 please ring ahead as a number of these services may be closed
People with disability, carers and disability organisations can borrow an MLAK key at no charge. Photo identification will need to be shown this includes; drivers licence, key pass, proof of age card or student card. You can borrow an MLAK key from:
- The Shire's Customer Service Centres located in Hastings, Rosebud, Mornington and Somerville. (Weekdays 8.30am - 5pm, the key must be returned by 4.00 pm on the same day)
- Mornington Community Information and Support Centre - 320 Main Street, Mornington (Weekdays 9am - 5pm, Saturday 10am-4pm & Sunday 10am-2pm, the key must be returned one hour before closing)
- Arthurs Seat Eagle - 1085 Arthurs Seat Road, Arthurs Seat (lower location)
- Dromana Visitor Information Centre - 359 Point Nepean Road, Dromana. Book online (open 7 days per week, 10am - 4pm. The key must be returned by 4pm on the same day. Closed Christmas Day, Good Friday and ANZAC Day)
How do I locate an MLAK facility?
With your MLAK you can access ‘The Liberty Swing’ located at the Hastings Foreshore Reserve, opposite Council Offices in Hastings on Marine Parade.
To find other Changing Places toilets across Australia visit Changing Places Toilet Map
MLAK fitted toilets, visit The National Public Toilet Map. Useful information is provided about each facility, such as location and travel routes to get to the toilet.
The National Public Toilet Map is also free to download, as an App on some smartphones.
For an online directory of MLAK facilities across Australia, visit Spinal Cord Injuries Australia.
For further information, please contact the Master Locksmiths Association email@example.com or phone: (03) 9338 8822 or your local Council, the Mornington Peninsula Shire on 1300 850 600.
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can phone us using the National Relay Service.
TTY/voice calls 133 677
Speak and listen 1300 555 727
Internet go to iprelay.com.au
SMS relay 0423 677 767
For a language interpreter call 13 14 50 and request the service that you want.