Adults and children can both benefit from playgroup.
For adults, it is a time to talk, make friends and share experiences, while their children learn through their play experiences.
Children like playgroup because they can:
- Participate in new experiences
- Develop and increase their social skills
- Learn sharing, co-operation and simple routines
- Interact with other adults and children in a safe environment
- Enjoy learning more about their world
Adults like playgroup because they can:
- Meet other local families and develop new friendships
- Relax and talk in a friendly environment
- Share experiences and ideas
- Play with children and nurture a spirit of co-operation
There are two types of playgroups on the peninsula - supported playgroups and community playgroups.
There are various supported playgroups operating throughout the peninsula, for families with children aged birth up to school entry.
- Free weekly group sessions during school terms with a trained facilitator.
- Small talk sessions for parents with children who may benefit from extra ideas on how to use everyday opportunities and activities to enhance their child's early literacy and learning in the home.
Learn more about the Supported Playgroups we offer.
Community run playgroups for babies, toddlers and preschoolers and their parents or carers. Community playgroups are held at community venues such as maternal and child health centres, kindergartens, halls, community centres, primary schools, sporting clubs and aged care facilities, they are low cost and run by the parents or carers in them.
Each parent or carer is responsible for the children they bring to playgroup. At playgroup you get to meet other people going through similar experiences, ease the isolation that can come with caring for young children and find out about local community, health and support services.
For all Community playgroup queries and to find or start a playgroup, visit Playgroup Victoria
Join the Playgroups at Home Facebook Community.
For fun activities you can try at home visit Playgroup.org.au 20 days of play at home.