Become a Family Day Care Educator and embark on a rewarding career in the child care industry.
A career as a Family Day Care educator
- Provides our local residents with the opportunity to establish a rewarding career in Local Government by operating their own small business in partnership with the Mornington Peninsula Shire team;
- Provides you with the opportunity to make a positive difference in your local community by establishing a rewarding and satisfying career in the education and care of children from your own home.
Contact us on 5950 1099 for more information about a career in Family Day Care.
Download Family_Day_Care_Prospective_Educator_Brochure(PDF, 366KB)
Apply to become a Family Day Care Educator
What do you need to consider?
- What days and hours will I be available to provide care? (a minimum of 3 week days is required)
- What types of care will I be available to provide? eg. Overnight care, before/after school care etc.
- Am I willing to provide transport to and/or from schools and preschools (via vehicle or walking) and what will I charge for doing this?
- What community facilities will I access to broaden the program I provide? What parts of my family home will I use to provide family day care
What do I need to do next?
Perspective educators whom have successfully met the requirements of our interview process will require:
- Police checks for the educator and their family members aged 18 years and over
- Working with Children Check for the educator and their family members aged 18 years and over
- Medical clearance check for the educator
- Safety check on the home environment
- Vehicle restraint fitting check (if applicable)
- Public Liability Insurance through Family Day Care Australia www.familydaycare.com.au or 1800 621 218
- Educators are required to hold a Certificate III or higher in children’s services
- Provision of an ABN (Australian Business Number)
- Confirmation of an operating mobile phone number
- Copy of current First Aid Certificates including, Level 2 First Aid, CPR, Anaphylaxis, Emergency Asthma Management - codes can be found at www.acecqa.gov.au
How much can I earn as a Family Day Care Educator with the Mornington Peninsula Shire?
As each educator sets their own fees and charges along with their availability the amount of potential earnings is driven by your availability. As an example, an educator who works full time (38 hours a week) and has 4 preschool aged children in care could earn in excess of $65,000 per year before tax (estimate only).
As an Educator, I would be running my own small business, so am I responsible for my own taxation requirements?
Yes, our educators manage their own taxation needs and are eligible for many tax deductions in the course of operating their business which can include but is not limited to such things as; toys and equipment, art supplies, vehicle expenses etc.
How many children can I care for?
In accordance with the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 care can be provided for up to 7 children at any one time, of which no more than 4 can be of preschool age. This number includes the educators own children until such time as they turn 13 years of age
Do I need any formal qualifications?
Educators are required to hold a Certificate III or higher in Children’s Services
Who do I speak to if I have any further questions?
Our Family Day Care Team can answer your questions. We can be contacted between 8.30am and 5pm weekdays on 5950 1099.