Rye Township Plan
The Rye Township Plan (the ‘Plan’) was adopted by Council on 12 December 2017.
The Plan sets the strategic vision and direction for the improvement of the foreshore, streetscape and town centre of Rye.
The Plan amalgamates the previous draft Rye Foreshore Landscape Masterplan (2015) and draft Rye Movement and Place Plan (2016), as well as a review of the Rye Urban Design Framework Plan (2002). The Plan been through a thorough community consultation process to date. This has included two interactive design based community workshops, two online surveys as well as multiple meetings with key stakeholder groups. The feedback from this consultation (as well as a review of previous literature) has informed the draft Plan
Some of the key projects and concepts proposed within the plan include:
- Reconfigured car parking areas and increased open space;
- Improved pedestrian links through the foreshore (completing the Port Phillip ‘Bay Trail’);
- Partial relocation of foreshore camping from the eastern section of the township (between Lyons and Weir Street);
- Vegetation management; and
- Provision of a public plaza and promenade linking the pier to the centre of town.
- Reduction in the width of Point Nepean Road to one lane in each direction with a vegetated median strip (however the intersections will remain wide, to accommodate the high traffic volumes);
- Reduction in vehicle speed on Point Nepean Road to 40 kilometres per hour;
- Increased footpath width along the commercial strip of Point Nepean Road;
- Seasonal on-street parallel parking (which is removed during peak season to accommodate the increased footpath widths);
- Separated on-road separated cycle paths (with safety buffers provided on either side of the cycle path);
- Signalised pedestrian access to the foreshore; and
- Increased street tree planting (with native and indigenous species).
- A ‘town square’ at the end of Napier Street (linking to the foreshore);
- A ‘town park’ located opposite the square;
- A laneway that provides for commercial activation to the rear of Point Nepean Road (providing a pedestrian link between Safeway and Napier Street);
- A recommendation for ‘public domain guidelines’ to be prepared (which will guide the construction of all future public works); and
- A recommendation for a Planning Scheme Amendment that rezones part of the town centre to Mixed Use zoning, as well as a Design and Development Overlay that controls built form outcomes (heights, materials, setbacks etc.).
To download a copy of the adopted plan, please click the link below:
Rye Township Plan(PDF, 35MB)
If you would like further information:
Contact the Property and Strategy Department
James Bryan - Urban Designer
Ph: 5950 1982