Dependant Person's Unit

Definition of a Dependant Person's Unit

A dependant person's unit (also referred to as a DPU) is defined as a "moveable building on the same lot as an existing dwelling and used to provide accommodation for a person dependant on a resident of the existing dwelling."

They are also sometimes known as "granny flats".

Do I need a planning permit for a Dependant Person's Unit?

The criteria to be met include:

  • Is the building moveable from one place to another?
  • Will the building be occupied by a dependant person? A dependant person is a person that is incapacitated by medical, economic or social disadvantage and is dependent on the person in the main dwelling for their accommodation.
  • There is no more than one dependent person’s unit on the lot and Shire is satisfied that the building is considered a dependent person’s unit

If the above criteria is met a planning permit may not be required, however it is recommended to contact the Planning Services team on (03) 5950 1010 to discuss your specific proposal.