Heritage and Planning Permits

1.What is Heritage?

By definition heritage is something that is transmitted from the past or handed down by tradition. This very broad definition can extend to buildings, archaeological sites, sites of important events, ruins, cemeteries, shipwrecks, trees, landscapes, gardens and precincts.

Mornington Peninsula Shire Council is responsible for managing many forms of ‘heritage’. The information on this page relates only to places that are protected by Heritage Overlays in the local planning scheme. This generally means places that are part of the Peninsula’s history since European settlement. It includes buildings and other structures, gardens, historic sites, and a small number of historic trees.

  • For information on natural heritage (bushland reserves, natural features and the like) please visit our section on Bushland Reserves 
  • For information on indigenous cultural heritage, please refer to our section on Indigenous People

2.The Heritage Overlay

Heritage places are listed in the Heritage Overlay of the planning scheme.

In essence, listing in the Heritage Overlay means that permit approval is required for demolition and for external changes to the appearance of the place. Depending on the nature of the heritage place the controls could extend to vegetation removal, external painting and changes to the interior.

As with any permit application, parties dissatisfied with the Shire’s decision may appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. If the heritage place is included in the Victorian Heritage Register approval is required through Heritage Victoria.

Owners of a heritage place are strongly advised to speak to our Heritage Planner before lodging an application. The Heritage Planner can organise a consultation with our Heritage Adviser (a heritage architect) if this will be useful.

3.Victorian Heritage Register

Places of State significance are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. This applies to a limited number of places on the Mornington Peninsula.

  • Alteration or development of a property on the Victorian Heritage Register requires a heritage permit issued by Heritage Victoria (part of the State Department of Planning and Community Development).
  • Council planning staff can confirm for you if a place is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register but you must obtain the permit through Heritage Victoria.

A Council planning permit is not required unless there are other overlays or provisions applying to the site. Contact Statutory Planning on 5950 1010 to determine if a planning permit is required.

4.Other Heritage Lists

There are several other forms of heritage listing or recognition. The best known are the Register of the National Estate and the National Trust Register.

  • Listing on the registers of the National Estate and the National Trust does not impose any planning obligations on the owners of the property.

Useful information on the Heritage Overlay can be found on the Heritage Victoria website.