Yawa Aquatic Centre – Artist Expression of Interest
Mornington Peninsula Shire seeks to engage an artist to create a series of photographic works to be presented in the new Yawa Aquatic Centre in March 2021 for a period of twelve months. Located on a prominent wall within the entrance of the Centre, this exhibition space aims to:
- celebrate and champion the work of a local artist;
- promote awareness and appreciation of our creative communities; and
- ensure that our public spaces are stimulating and engaging for visitors.
“Yawa” which means “swim”, or “to swim”, is a local Indigenous word endorsed by the Bunurong / Boon Wurrung Traditional Owners, which draws on a local language that reflects over 40,000 years of history. The successful artist will develop work that draws inspiration from the Mornington Peninsula, its rich culture and heritage, expansive natural environment and local stories.
Applications will be assessed by a panel that includes members of Mornington Peninsula Shire’s Libraries, Arts and Culture Unit and Public Art Panel, according to selection criteria that takes into consideration:
- demonstrated experience in successful delivery of a similar project
- relevance to the local community
- suitability for the space and audience
- previous opportunities that the artist has received from Mornington Peninsula Shire
Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their exhibition application in writing.
The successful artist will be awarded $5,000. This opportunity is only available to artists who live within the boundary of Mornington Peninsula Shire.
Download: Yawa Aquatic Centre - Artist Brief(PDF, 614KB)
Applications closed Monday 30 November 2020.
For further information, contact the Arts and Culture team.