Weekly summer recycling is back on the Peninsula
Published on 08 December 2020
We know summer on the Mornington Peninsula means more time spent with family and friends and with that often comes extra recycling.
To help, this summer household recycling bins on the Peninsula will be collected every week from Monday 14 December 2020 until Friday 29 January 2021.
Normal 240L recycling bins (blue lid) will be collected weekly on the same day as the usual fortnightly recycling service.
Bins are emptied on all days, including public holidays.
We’re working hard towards a cleaner Peninsula and encourage our community to reduce, reuse, recycle.
What can be recycled?
- Clean aluminium and steel cans and foil
- Rigid and solid plastic items, such as: kids toys, bottles (lids off), clean take-away containers and cups
- Pizza boxes (with only small amounts of grease)
- Pots and pans
- Wrapping paper and envelopes
- Cardboard, newspapers and magazines
- Empty milk, juice and soft drink bottles
- Glass bottles and clean jars.
What can’t be recycled:
- Bagged recyclables (free your recyclables! Pop them loose in the recycling bin)
- Soft plastics such as bread bags and cling film (collect in a plastic bag and take it to your local supermarket for recycling)
- Household rubbish (put in general rubbish bin)
- Food waste (compost it or put in general rubbish bin)
- Garden waste (pop it in a green waste bin, compost bin or take it to the tip)
- Textiles (repurpose, donate or if it’s not salvageable put it in the rubbish bin)
- Polystyrene (straight in the general rubbish bin).
Do you have extra recycling or large items at home which can’t fit in the recycling bin? You can drop off excess household recycling at the tips or hoppers free of charge.
Is your recycling bin constantly overflowing? You can order an extra recycling bin for a one-off fee of $65.
For more information or to search bin days, visit mornpen.vic.gov.au/recycling
Find out about how to recycle other items at mornpen.vic.gov.au/wasteguide