Statement from the CEO
Published on 31 January 2018
Mornington Peninsula CEO Carl Cowie is re-releasing the details in his possession of a cruise he attended in a private capacity.
Mr Cowie states the details of the cruise have been discussed at length and it is his view that a private trip that was not made in an official capacity does not require listing on the shire’s gift register.
Mr Cowie provides the following details:
- Mr Cowie and his wife attended in a private capacity. Mr Cowie did not attend in an official capacity.
- Mr Cowie was on annual leave at the time, and there was no cost to council.
- The cruise took place in July 2016.
- Mr Cowie said it had already been reported in local media that Mr Fox chartered the Seabourn Odyssey for a seven-day trip between Athens and Venice.
- It has been reported that the cruise was a pre-celebration of Mr Fox’s 80th birthday.
- Mr Cowie personally paid for his airfares and accommodation to and from the cruise.
Mr Cowie says the level of public interest meant that the trip had proved a distraction to shire business. He says the Shire is focused on continuing to work hard on behalf of our community.