Revitalising community interest about the Peninsula’s foreshore
Published on 11 February 2019
At its Council Meeting on 11 December 2018, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council moved a Notice of Motion to reinstate the formal Foreshore Advisory Group model.
In 2017, after consultation with the Shire’s Foreshore Advisory Groups, Council implemented a less formal consultative model and formally changed their name to Foreshore Information Groups.
Mornington Peninsula Shire Mayor Councillor David Gill said Council, in collaboration with the foreshore advisory group members, have worked to clarify the roles and expectations for all parties to better utilise the groups potential.
“There has been support to revert back to the formal model to better assist groups in providing valuable local knowledge and supporting ongoing relationships between Council and the community on coastal planning and management”.
Nepean Ward Councillor Hugh Fraser, who approved the motion at the 11 December 2018 Council Meeting, said we are committed to community-based and restore the traditional designation of Foreshore Advisory Groups whose main aim is to assist with shaping the long-term vision for planning, managing and protecting our very important coastline for future generations to enjoy.
“We want to strongly encourage community participation in coastal management and establish the Foreshore Advisory Groups as a key point of contact for the local community on issues relating to the future planning and management of the Shire’s foreshore areas”.
Functions of Foreshore Advisory Groups include:
- Assisting the Shire in the protection, future development and enhancement of foreshore areas.
- To share valuable local knowledge and history.
- To participate as required in the strategic planning for the foreshore area, including the preparation, consultation, implementation and evaluation of Coastal Management Plans, Masterplans and Precinct Plans.
- To act as a key link to the local community and key stakeholders on coastal matters related to the foreshore.
- The making of recommendations for future works and projects to be taken into consideration through Councils annual budget process and a further report is to be brought to Council by the CEO early in the new year.