Our Climate Emergency Plan takes home prestigious Award
Published on 06 December 2021
We are proud to share the news: Mornington Peninsula Shire has won the Ambition Award in Cities Power Partnership’s National Climate Awards for our Climate Emergency Plan. The annual awards ceremony, hosted on Wednesday 17 November by Craig Reucassel, recognises outstanding Council-led initiatives from around the country.
Our Climate Emergency Plan outlines ambitious goals: reduce community emissions by 65 per cent by 2030 and reach net zero emissions Shire-wide by 2040.
We’re well on our way to reach those targets. Some of our key achievements this alone year include:
- Joining the community to successfully advocate for the rejection of plans by AGL for a gas import jetty and pipeline at Crib Point
- Achieving Carbon Neutrality under the Climate Active certification in October
- Creating 22ha of bio links and planting nearly 17,000 trees and shrubs
- Launching our inaugural community Climate Action Grant program with $100,000 available to deliver local climate action
- Launching our food waste collection service, diverting food waste from landfill
- Expanding our Schools Environmental Education Program with multiple webinars, workshops and new lessons offered
- Launching our Community Energy Program to support the formation of a community energy group in the Shire
- Providing direct support for community energy efficiency through programs including Energy Savvy Upgrades and the Small Business Energy Saver program
The competition we were up against for this award was exceptionally high. Finalists in the Ambition Award included:
- Ku-ring-gai Council, NSW - Towards Zero Emissions - 2030 Action Plan
- Mornington Peninsula Shire - Climate Emergency Plan “Ensuring our Future”
- Randwick City Council, NSW - Preparing and Implementing Randwick's new Environment Strategy
- Monash Council, VIC - Zero Net Carbon for Monash
For more information go to citiespowerpartnerships.com.au
Quote attributable to Mayor Councillor Anthony Marsh:
“We are thrilled and honoured to accept this award for the Shire's Climate Emergency Plan.
“We developed our Climate Emergency Plan with significant input from our community, and this Award recognises their passion and commitment to tackling climate action.
“The Shire is acutely aware that addressing climate change must be done at an emergency speed. Our Climate Emergency Plan sets the tone for our organisation and community to drive climate action.”