Mornington Peninsula Shire Council responds to SKM shutdown
Published on 26 July 2019
26 July 2019
Mornington Peninsula Shire along with 30 other local Councils was last night informed contracted recycling processor SKM would cease accepting recyclable material effective immediately.
Shire Mayor Councillor David Gill said while Council is well prepared to act quickly on a solution, the shutdown was disappointing.
“Council has been preparing for this scenario and is well placed to minimise the environmental impact of this devastating shutdown.
“We’ve been proactive in working with the recycling industry and I’m hopeful a solution will be in place next week.
“Advanced warning from the state government that further compliance matters at SKM were being addressed would have shown consideration for our community.
“The state government has again failed to support our community by ensuring that the landfill levy collected from all tip users is used to fix this environmental crisis.
“Council will continue to work with other Councils and the Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group (MWRRG) to develop effective local and state level solutions and advocate for urgent policy change from the state government”, concluded Cr Gill.
The Shire acknowledges continual disruptions to the industry can be confusing for our community. There will be no disruption to kerbside collections and it’s more important than ever to recycle right and reduce the amount of waste you produce.
If you can afford to hold on to your recyclables for a few days please do, this will help reduce the amount sent to landfill while we finalise a solution.
Shutdowns are temporary and practicing correct recycling habits will go a long way towards ensuring materials can be processed efficiently in future.
How can you make a difference?
• Reduce packaging
• Give your things a second life by upcycling or repairing
• Borrow or buy second hand
• Bring reusable bags when you shop – don’t buy single use plastics
• Compost your food waste – join the Shire’s Compost Challenge at: mornpen.vic.gov.au/composting
• ‘Take three for the sea’ and pick up three pieces of rubbish when you visit our beaches
• Take advantage of the free recycling Transfer Stations in the Shire
• Join the conversation online using #rescueourrecycling on social media
• Volunteer to be a Recycling Champion at: mornpen.vic.gov.au/recyclingchampions
Find out more about Rubbish and Recycling here: mornpen.vic.gov.au/recycling