Join the conversation: help protect the Baxter township
Published on 13 February 2019
Community consultation on Mornington Peninsula Shire’s Draft Baxter Township Structure Plan is coming to an end on Tuesday 26 February 2019.
Don’t miss out on having your say about the draft Plan which provides a framework for Baxter to help protect the distinctive, positive elements of Baxter.
The Plan identifies transport and urban design improvements to enhance useability and integration.
Mornington Peninsula Shire Mayor Councillor David Gill said “we are determined to work closely with the Baxter and surrounding community to establish a robust and strategic Plan”.
Watson Ward Councillor Julie Morris said community members are encouraged to join in the conversation!
“Help us capture and enhance the attributes of Baxter that are most loved, improve elements of the township and protect Baxter’s vital green wedge areas while allowing other residential zoned areas to see additional housing options”.
The project began in late 2018 with visioning workshops, held with the community and targeted stakeholder engagement, to identify themes and objectives to help develop the Draft Structure Plan.
Together with key stakeholders and the community, Council identified that the future of the Baxter township will be guided by the following six objectives:
- To provide a range of housing choices to meet current and future community needs and ensure the population is maintained within the township.
- To ensure the continuing viability of the township’s retail and commercial areas.
- To ensure the township continues to provide community infrastructure to meet the needs of its residents.
- To ensure new built form is of a scale and form appropriate to the township character.
- To ensure residents are provided with a variety of movement options that are safe, accessible, integrated and reduced car dependence within the township.
- To improve amenities and facilities within parks and open spaces for a range of ages and life stages.
Some other key actions in the Plan include: improvements to public amenities, rejuvenating the pedestrian and cycling network and investigating local park upgrades.
HOW TO HAVE YOUR SAY
To view the Draft Baxter Township Structure Plan and to complete the survey visit: mornpen.vic.gov.au/haveyoursay
Surveys are also available to read in hard copy at the Shire’s offices in Rosebud, Mornington, Hastings and Somerville.
Email your submission to: email@example.com with the subject line “Draft Baxter Township Structure Plan”.
Attention: Leigh Northwood
Senior Planner – Planning Services
Re: Draft Baxter Township Structure Plan
Mornington Peninsula Shire
Private Bag 1000
PICTURE DETAILS: Mornington Peninsula Shire’s Senior Planner Leigh Northwood, Mayor Gill and Cr Morris in Baxter.