Free playgroup for Peninsula kids
Published on 06 February 2019
Supported playgroup provides eligible families with free playgroup for children aged 0-5years in a fun, safe play environment run by a qualified facilitator.
The service also offers:
- Weekly playgroup sessions (school term)
- Parenting tips
- Morning tea
- An opportunity to have fun and make local connections
- One on one support for families
Supported Playgroup also incorporates the 10-week parenting program Small Talk and in-home support.
Small Talk is an evidence-based parenting program that aims to increase:
- Quality and frequency of parents’ interactions with their children
- Level of stimulation in the home environment
- Parental self-care (stress management and seeking support)
- Parenting confidence
- Parents’ connection to their community and local services
Shire Mayor Cr David Gill said “Supported Playgroup aims to make it easy to spend more quality time with your children and ensure you’re taking care of yourself.
“Accessing free playgroup could be as simple as holding a Health Care Card”.
Supported Playgroup is free for range of community members, your family could be eligible if one of the following applies to a family member in the household:
- Health Care Card
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veteran's Affairs Card
- Humanitarian Visa
- Identifies as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- Looking after children in kinship care arrangements (out of home care)
- Referred to or engaged with Child Protection
- Referred from or receiving Enhanced Maternal and Child Health Service or Young Parents Program
To find out more or check if you’re eligible, get in touch with the Shire's Playgroup Facilitator, phone: 5950 1099 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit mornpen.vic.gov.au/supportedplaygroups