Tyabb Airfield Precinct Plan
The Tyabb airfield and the surrounding areas require careful planning to provide for the long-term operation of the airfield while protecting the safety and amenity of residents.
Following an initial round of consultation with key stakeholders and the wider community, the consultants have developed the draft Tyabb Airfield Precinct Plan (TAPP) and Council has resolved to place the document on exhibition for a period of six weeks, encouraging public comment prior to further consideration by Council.
The draft Plan is now on public exhibition until the 30 September 2017
The TAPP aims to achieve a “balanced, fair and sustainable co-existence” between airfield operations and the amenity of the local community.
Key implementation actions and recommendations
Key actions and recommendations proposed in the draft TAPP include:
- Creation of a new Council webpage for the Tyabb Airfield providing links to the TAPP and relevant information.
- Establishment of a Community Reference Group (CRG) with an independent chairperson.
- Airservices Australia are proposed to remain the primary point of contact for noise complaints – but, with the agreement of the complainant, referral to the Peninsula Aero Club (PAC) and the CRG for resolution. The Airfield operator is also encouraged to establish and implement a complaints procedure to investigate and resolve complaints which may be publicly reported through the Community Reference Group.
- Planning, design and construction of a widening of the main runway (i.e. from 10 m – 18 m) to a standard width runway to support improved operational safety.
- PAC strongly encouraged to prepare a comprehensive Master Plan for the airfield and to provide more information on their actions to support the Fly Neighbourly Advice relating to airfield operations.
- All circuit training and gyrocopters to be limited to a designated flight path.
- Preparation by the PAC of an Aircraft Noise Management Plan in conjunction with the proposed Community Reference Group.
- Various planning scheme changes including the preparation of a Design and Development Overlay which would apply to the approach and departure paths and public safety areas to prevent structures which may reduce safety, and a local planning policy recognising the activities of the airfield and seeking to avoid future land use conflicts.
- Provision for a single hangar storing a maximum of two planes, on each of the residential lots on the west side of Stuart Road, which adjoin the airfield, for private use only.
- Possible future investigation of relocation of the main runway further to the south to improve safety – but only to be cconsidered in the light of the implementation of other actions recommended in the TAPP.
- No expansion of the Special Use Zone 3 – Airfield Development Zone.
- No change to the status/use of the east west runway.
- No introduction of an Airport Environs Overlay.
To view details of the draft plan
Download here: Draft Tyabb Airfield Precinct Plan(PDF, 5MB)
Hard copies of the Plan are also available for inspection at the Shire offices in Hastings (Cnr High Street and Marine Parade, Hastings), Mornington (Queen Street, Mornington), and Rosebud (Besgrove Street, Rosebud), between 8.30 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. Mon – Friday.
Two public information sessions are to be held at the Tyabb Hall on the 31st August 2017:
2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The consultants will be available to answer questions, and provide any clarification that may assist you in making a submission.
To assist the Shire in making arrangements for the information sessions, please register your intention to attend a session – preferably by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting Mr. Martin Chin of the Strategic Projects team on (03) 5950 1967. Please contact Mr. Chin if you have any other queries regarding the draft Plan.
Have Your Say
Please note the closing date is 30 September 2017.
Email: Email your submission to: email@example.com
Post: Mail your submission to: Mornington Peninsula Shire Council, Attention: TAPP Project Officer, Private Bag 1000, Rosebud VIC 3939
Online: Using the form below. If there is insufficient space provided, you are welcome to include an attachment or use the email option.