Mornington Peninsula Activity Centres Strategy Review
The Draft Mornington Peninsula Activity Centres Strategy Review, October 2017 report is currently on exhibition for public comment. The review provides an updated assessment of retail and commercial floorspace demand and supply, strategic directions to enhance the role of centres, and a policy framework for the planning of activity centres into the future.
Three Community and Business Stakeholders Engagement workshops were held on 15 November 2017 at the following venues and times:
- Rosebud - Reception Room, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm
- Hastings - Reception Room, 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Mornington - Council Chamber, 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
Key recommendations of the review include:
- continuing support to the activity centres hierarchy;
- ensuring the hierarchy services residents, tourists and other visitors;
- consolidating a diverse range of activities in the centres;
- confirming the primacy of Mornington Peninsula’s Major Activity Centres;
- supporting the growth of existing centres to meet increasing demand;
- closely monitoring out-of-centre development; and
- applying appropriate planning and development criteria when assessing major proposals.
Importantly, having regard to growth in population, tourism and real spending per person, it is estimated that an additional minimum of 105,000 m2 of shopfront and commercial floorspace would be required to deliver appropriate development in the Shire’s activity centres over the next 20 years.
Download the full report:
A hard copy of the full report is also available for inspection at all Council's Offices (Mornington, Rosebud and Hastings) between the hours of 8:30 am and 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
If you would like to speak to an officer for further information regarding the draft report or the project, please contact:
Submit your comments:
Please note that submissions on the draft report will close at 5:00 pm, Monday, 4 December 2017.