Have Your Say - The Briars Master Plan
Mornington Peninsula Shire invites our community to provide input into the development of a Master Plan for The Briars.
The Briars Master Plan will look 10-15 years into the future and articulate how the natural, cultural and heritage values of the Briars and the Mornington Peninsula will be celebrated.
We are currently inviting community feedback on the Master Plan, before a draft is presented to council and community for further consultation.
The Briars is a beautiful 230ha property in Mount Martha. Visitors can enjoy walks and wildlife spotting through the wildlife sanctuary or become immersed in history with a tour through the heritage homestead. The Shire Nursery offers a range of beautiful native and indigenous plants for home gardens while the Eco-Living Display Centre provides visitors with all the tips and tricks needed to make a home resource efficient. These are just some of the exciting visitor experiences offered at the Briars.
Mornington Peninsula Shire is also engaging with a number of stakeholders, including Bunurong Land Council, National Trust of Australia (Victoria), Heritage Victoria, South East Water, BERG, Frankston Amateur Winemakers Guild, Heritage Croquet Club, Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society, Mornington Peninsula Regional Tourism Board, Local farmers and viticulturalists, Briars’ Volunteers and other members and organisations on the community with an interest in the site.
The Briars offers a range of activities, including:
- Visitor Information Centre
- Angus & Rose Coffee and Creativity
- Bushwalking and bird watching along our walking trails
- Balcombe Estuary Boardwalk
- 1800’s 'The Briars' Historic Homestead & gardens
- Eco Living Display Centre
- Historic farm buildings
- School holiday activities
- Wildlife sanctuary and wetlands, including bird hides
- Gardens & vineyard
- Josephine's Restaurant
- picnic areas
- Shire Nursery of native & indigenous plants
- Outdoor Ed Camp
- Junior Ranger Program
- Volunteer Programs
- Spotlight Walks
The plan will support provide a framework for the future of The Briars, the improvement and management of the site, and focus on the following themes:
- Natural systems
- Cultural heritage
- Safe access and use
- Infrastructure and buildings
- Climate change adaptation
- Commercial operators, tourism and events
- Community awareness and involvement
If you would like more information please contact Rebecca Levy, Briars Manager, on 5976 3686 or Rebecca.Levy@mornpen.vic.gov.au
Have Your Say:
- Community drop-in sessions: at The Briars, Visitor Centre, 450 Nepean Highway, Mt Martha (see map)
- Wednesday 24th January from 4pm – 6pm
- Saturday 27th January from 10am – 12pm
- At any of our customer service centres (just ask for a 'have your say' form for The Briars Master Plan)
Email your submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail submissions to: Rebecca Levy, The Briars, Mornington Peninsula Shire, Private Bag 1000, Rosebud, Victoria, 3939