Have Your Say: Draft Climate Change Community Engagement Strategy
Mornington Peninsula Shire is inviting community feedback on its draft Climate Change Community Engagement Strategy to help our community reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to be better prepared for the impacts of climate change.
Download: Draft Climate Change Community Engagement Strategy(PDF, 8MB)
The Strategy aims to help the community stay aware of the risks associated with climate change and remain actively involved and supported to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions in preparation for the future.
As part of the Strategy, the Shire commits to assist the community to achieve a minimum community greenhouse gas emission reduction of 2.9% annually.
The Shire would also commit to work with the community towards a target of zero greenhouse gas emissions for the peninsula by working in collaboration with other organisations.
This greenhouse gas emission target was developed to guide future emissions reductions strategies, and is aligned with the greenhouse gas emissions target established as part of the Paris Agreement.
The Strategy will be delivered through the Action Plan, which includes seventy-one actions to be delivered in the following areas:
- Empowering the community through education, advice and support of community led climate change initiatives.
- Generation of local renewable energy and improvement of energy efficiency for households and community assets through access to energy efficient products.
- Improving water efficiency within households, businesses, agriculture and schools.
- Supporting low emissions transport through sustainable transport options including public transport, cycling, walking and electric vehicles.
- Reducing waste to landfill with a key focus on minimising food waste.
- Protecting natural assets and increasing carbon storage
- Increasing biodiversity conservation and supporting adaptive agricultural management systems and carbon storage initiatives.
This Strategy has been developed with extensive community consultation, conducted between February and April 2017. This sought input from the community on their understanding of climate change, current actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to prepare for climate change and barriers to further actions.
Last year between February and April, more than 500 community members participated in the Clean and Green community engagement program. Using this community feedback and information from Shire staff, we have developed a Strategy that aims to help our community reduce greenhouse gas emissions and be better prepared for the impacts of climate change. It’s imperative that our communities are prepared and actively working to minimise their impact on climate change.
The Shire encourages you to have your say on this Strategy to ensure the final strategy meets community needs.
Since 2001 the Mornington Peninsula Shire has taken a lead role in combatting climate change, both in terms of planning for the impacts of climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. A key to reducing Council greenhouse gas emissions is the Shire’s Carbon Neutral Policy, that includes a target for carbon neutrality in Shire operations by 2021.
Have your say
Community consultation closes Wednesday 22 August 2018.
Attend one of our drop in sessions:
- Mornington - Tuesday 24 July, 10am – 12pm, Mornington Library, Vancouver St, Mornington
- Rye - Wednesday 25 July, 4pm – 6pm, Rye Civic Centre, 12 Napier St, Rye
- Rosebud - Saturday 4 August, 10am – 12pm, Rosebud Library, McDowell St, Rosebud
- Hastings - Thursday 9 August, 1.30 – 3.30 pm, Hastings Community Hub, 1973 Frankston-Flinders Rd, Hastings
Surveys are also available to complete at the Shire’s offices in Rosebud, Mornington, Hastings and Somerville.
Have your say online by completing our online survey
Have your say
Attention: Nicci Tsernjavski, Acting Climate Change Co-ordinator, Re: Climate Change Community Engagement Strategy, Mornington Peninsula Shire, Private Bag 1000, Rosebud, 3939