Baxter Township Structure Plan
What is the project about?
The Baxter Township Structure Plan is a plan to manage future change in the township of Baxter. The Shire is currently undertaking a number of structure plans for its activity centres, including Baxter Township, to guide future development and provide effectively for changing community needs.
A structure plan is a planning tool that sets out a vision for the future development of a place. It establishes a planning and management framework to guide development and land-use change and aims to achieve environmental, social and economic objectives.
An essential aspect of the structure planning process is feedback from the community on how the area should evolve.
A structure plan determines what is working well in an area and how this can be enhanced, as well as how the area can grow and change in the future. It provides clear strategies for how this can be achieved.
Why is this project needed?
Baxter has many appealing attributes that contribute to its residents’ expectations of liveability relative to other townships in the Peninsula including public transport (train) and access to jobs both within and outside of the municipality.
The township also faces several challenges that include:
- The significant growth and investment that would be anticipated should Baxter be added to the electrified metro rail network and the added social and economic ramifications.
- Development pressure and the associated implications on the UGB and established rural character.
- Increased vehicular and pedestrian traffic and, pending electrification, increased demand for off-street car parking and additional public transport services (bus services).
- Lack of an identified and preferred future character for the township that reinforces the small-scale, semi-rural character of Baxter, and defines it as a destination itself separate to nearby townships of Hastings and Somerville.
- The future role, function and direction of change anticipated for Baxter.
Council has appointed planning consultants ‘Plan2Place’ to undertake the project. The project started in September 2018, and background research, data collection and analysis for the structure plan are currently underway.
It is important that the structure plan is developed with both the community and key stakeholders to capture and enhance the attributes of the township that are most valued, improve aspects of the township and develop a vision to guide land use and development in Baxter into the future.
Have your say
Community consultation has now concluded.
Workshops have been undertaken both with the community and key stakeholders to capture and enhance the attributes of the township that are most valued, improve aspects of the township and develop a vision to guide land use and development in Baxter into the future.
The draft Structure Plan will go out for public exhibition in late January 2019 where you will have another the opportunity to provide feedback. Council will advise when the draft is available for review.
If you wish to discuss the project or have any questions, please contact Peninsula Wide Strategic Planning or phone Planning Support on 5950 1010.
You may access personal information you have provided to the Shire and make corrections by contacting the Shire’s Privacy Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
. The Shire will only use this information for the purpose it was collected and may use it for a secondary, related purpose that could reasonably be expected.