Food Business Requirements

Important Coronavirus Update Regarding Outdoor Public Dining Furniture

Mornington Peninsula Shire is regularly providing information to food businesses on the prevention and management of the current outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current advice from the State Government Department of Health and Human Services is that outdoor dining areas on footpaths and any other public areas must not be used by any customers. This includes customers that are waiting to collect take away foods. Portable tables and chairs on footpaths and other public dining and service areas must be removed

This applies as of 11.59pm on 30 March 2020 and is in place until further notice

For outdoor service areas with fixed tables and chairs please download this sign(PDF, 46KB) to place on or attach to fixed furniture. We also ask that you please monitor these areas and provide information to customers as required. 

Further information on Coronavirus and your business is available here.

Download: Fixed Furniture Sign(PDF, 46KB)


The Shire's Environmental Health team is responsible for the registration of all food businesses within the Shire. The following information should be read in conjunction with the Food Standards Australia New Zealand National Food Safety Standards.

Download a copy of the relevant standards:

Standard-3.2.2-Food-Safety-Practices-and-general-requirements.pdf(PDF, 153KB) 
Standard-3.2.3-Food-premises-and-equipment.pdf(PDF, 115KB)

If you are interested in setting up a new food business please contact the Shire’s Customer Service Team and ask for a copy of the Best Bites Food Guide folder which has all of the information that you need to set up a food business or visit our section Registering a Food Business.

Food Business Risk Categories

Every business that prepares and/or sells foods to the public must register their business or notify the Mornington Peninsula Shire under the Food Act. The Food Act classifies food businesses into four risk categories:

  • Class 1 for premises serving potentially hazardous foods to customers at higher risk e.g. nursing homes, hospitals and child care centres.
  • Class 2 for premises engaged in manufacture or handling of any unpackaged, potentially hazardous foods, such as food that requires temperature control.
  • Class 3 for premises handling low risk food or wholesale of pre-packaged food, or selling pre-packaged, potentially hazardous food.
  • Class 4 for premises selling only shelf-stable, pre-packaged food.

Potentially hazardous foods are foods which need correct temperature control during the food handling process (including cooking and storage) to keep them safe. This includes raw and cooked meat, small goods, dairy products, seafood, processed fruits and vegetables, cooked rice and pasta, eggs, sandwiches, rolls and pizza.

If you are unsure of the classification of your business please refer to the Department of Health Food Business Classification Tool.

Food safety requirements for each class of business

Class Council Registration Annual 3rd Party Audit Food Safety Program Food Safety Supervisor
 1 Yes Yes  Yes  Yes 
 2  Yes No* Yes  Yes 
 3  Yes No* Food Safety Guide  No (Optional Online Training) 
 4 No  No No No

*The Food Act requires that Class 1 premises and those using an independent (non-template) Food Safety Program must arrange a 3rd party audit each year.

Food Safety Programs and Food Safety Guide

All registered Class 1 and 2 food businesses must follow a food safety program. We're pleased to offer a food safety program template developed by the Department of Health and Human Services to assist you in developing your own program.

This template can also be completed electronically and emailed to us using the Foodsmart Program by visiting the Foodsmart Website.

Class 3 food premises need to keep completed basic records about certain food safety practices onsite. This includes details about suppliers, and about potentially hazardous food. These records are included in the Food Safety Guide for Class 3 Food Businesses released by the Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services.

Food Safety Supervisor Requirements

All registered Class 1 and 2 food businesses must have a qualified Food Safety Supervisor. The training requirements for the Supervisor have been developed by the Department of Health and Human Services and can be found on the Health Victoria website.

The training must be completed by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). For a list of RTOs offering food safety training please refer to the NTIS website.

The Department of Health also has an online food safety training program for Class 3 premises called ‘Do Food Safely” that is available on the Health Victoria website.

If the Food Safety Supervisor for your business changes you must submit the training qualifications for the new supervisor to the Shire’s Environmental Health Team. Without a suitably qualified Food Safety Supervisor the registration for a food business cannot be granted, renewed or transferred.