Start Your Business

Thinking of starting a business in the Mornington Peninsula area?  Or maybe you are considering taking over an existing operation?  Make sure you get off to the best start possible and arm yourself with the right information.

When starting a business, ask yourself the following questions:

  • Who is my target market?
  • What are the demographics of the area I’m selling in?
  • Who are my competitors and why would people buy from me?
  • How long can I operate before I need to break even?
  • What business regulations apply to my business?
  • Do I need to register a business name?
  • Do I need permits or licences?
  • What should I pay my employees and what taxes do I need to account for?
  • What should my business and marketing plan look like?
  • Do I understand my finances?

There’s a lot to think about, so take advantage of the information that is available to you.  Start with Small Business Victoria website. They provide a range of resources, information and guidance on starting and managing a business. 

Register your business

If you decide to start up a business, you'll need to register with the Australian Tax Office and apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN) or Company Number

Get your business permits

Depending on the type of business you intend running, you may need additional permits, either from Consumer Affairs Victoria or Mornington Peninsula Shire.

Planning information

  • Is the type of business appropriate for the area?
  • Do you have sufficient car parking spaces for you and your customers?
  • What hours will your business be open?
  • What type of signage do you need?

Work with our Planning team so that you can optimise the opportunities and meet requirements.

Building information

  • Do you have the right number and location of exits throughout your building?
  • Have you met fire safety requirements including fire extinguishers and smoke alarms?
  • How many patrons are you permitted to have for your building size; do you have adequate sanitary facilities?
  • Do you have access and sanitary facilities for people whit disabilities?

Work with our Building team so that you can optimise the opportunities and meet requirements.

Health information

  • Are you preparing or serving food?
  • Does your kitchen meet the minimum requirements according to the Food Act?
  • Is your business connected to a sewer and do you need to treat waste-water?
  • Does your business need to consider the Public Health and Wellbeing Act Premises (such as hairdressers or tattoo parlours)?

Work with our Health & Safety team so that you can optimise the opportunities and meet requirements.

Food premises registration

When opening a food premises on the Mornington Peninsula, it is important to meet specific guidelines and regulations for the health and safety of you and the community. Check out what you need to know about Food Safety before you serve food in your business.

Public Health and Wellbeing Act Registration for business

Some businesses require a Health Act registration to ensure compliance to conduct certain activities including:

  • Acupuncture
  • Ear piercing
  • Hairdressing
  • Beauty treatment and electrolysis.

If you are not sure if you are a business that needs to comply, just ask.  It’s important to get it right.  Visitthe State Government website for more details.