Claims Against the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
If you have sustained an injury or suffered loss or damage because you believe the Shire has been negligent or caused a nuisance, you may submit a claim for compensation for the loss or damage. Making a claim against the Shire does not guarantee you will be entitled to compensation.
In order for your claim to be successful, you must establish that the Shire is liable for the alleged loss or damage you have suffered. In any negligence or nuisance claim, the burden of proof rests with the person making the claim and the Shire will not help you discharge this burden.
Making a claim
- If you are confident that you can discharge the burden of proof and that the Shire is responsible for your loss or damage, you must put your claim in writing and provide all relevant and supporting documentation to the Shire’s Legal and Insurance Team for assessment:
- Download the Information Request Form(PDF, 102KB).
- Provide as many details as possible, including but not limited to
- Evidence of injury or damage
- Shire customer reference numbers
- Copies of supporting evidence, such as invoices and receipts supporting the claim amount
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions(PDF, 268KB).
- It is important you sign and date the form and provide the details of any person or third party who you wish to act on your behalf. We cannot deal with other persons or third parties without your express authority to do so.
- Return the Information Request Form by:
- Completion of the Information Request Form does not represent an admission of liability on the part of the Shire. Your claim will be subject to investigation and the findings assessed on their merits.
The investigation process may take up to 8 weeks to complete as the Shire must gather information from a variety of sources, including external third parties.
The Shire takes all claims seriously and the Legal and Insurance Team will endeavour to process your claims as soon as possible. We will update you if there will be a delay in completing the investigation of your claim.
To ensure your claim is dealt with as quickly as possible, please ensure the Information Request Form is complete.
Frequently asked questions
Please download the Frequently Asked Questions(PDF, 268KB).
Please contact the Legal and Insurance Team.
Phone: 03 5950 1000 or 1300 850 600