No longer on display. Expired on
01 October 2022, 12:01 AM
The Local Government Act 2020 provides for Council to make local laws which remain in effect for a period of ten years, unless revoked sooner by Council. The Shire currently has three such local laws, namely the General Purposes Local Law 2012, the Consumption of Liquor Local Law (Amended) 2017 and the Short Stay Rental Accommodation Local Law 2018.
The General Purposes Local Law 2012 and the Consumption of Liquor Local Law cease to operate on 5 October 2022 and must be replaced. Minor changes to the Short Stay Rental Accommodation Local Law 2018 are also required.
Notice is hereby given pursuant to section 74(4) of the Local Government Act 2020, that at its meeting held on 23 August 2022, the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council resolved to make the following Local Laws:
- Community Amenity Local Law 2022;
- Consumption of Liquor Local Law 2022; and
- Short Stay Rental Accommodation (Amendment) Local Law 2022.
The objectives and intended effect of these Local Laws are to:
Community Amenity Local Law 2022
- provide for the peace, order, and good government of the Municipal District of the Mornington Peninsula Shire;
- promote a physical and social environment in which residents and visitors to the Municipal District can enjoy a quality of life that meets the general expectations of the community;
- prevent and suppress nuisances which may adversely affect the enjoyment of life within the Municipal District or the health, safety, and welfare of persons within the Municipal District;
- prohibit, regulate, and control activities which may be dangerous or unsafe or detrimental to a person's health, amenity, or the environment;
- provide for fair access and use of Council and community assets and prescribe measures to protect those assets; and
- prescribe requirements for the administration and enforcement of the Local Law.
Consumption of Liquor Local Law 2022
- regulate and control the consumption, possession or control of liquor in designated areas, and prohibit the possession of liquor in other areas of the Municipal District;
- protect against behaviour which causes detriment to the amenity and environment of the Municipal District and to protect the community interest;
- provide for the enforcement of this Local Law, including the issuing of infringement notices;
- provide for the administration of Council powers and functions in relation to the consumption, possession or control of liquor on roads and Council land;
- lead and educate the public as to what is, and what is not, appropriate behaviour; and
- provide generally for the peace, order and good government of the Municipal District.
Short Stay Rental Accommodation (Amendment) Local Law 2022
- amend the Short Stay Rental Accommodation Local Law 2018, which regulates and control the use of short stay rental accommodation within the Municipal District of the Mornington Peninsula Shire;
- ensure an appropriate standard of management and presentation of such accommodation;
- minimise the risk of such accommodation affecting the peace of neighbours;
- implement a registration requirement; and
- provide for a Code of Conduct under the Local Law.
Copies of the Local Laws are available for inspection at Mornington Peninsula Shire Service Centres and on Council’s website at www.mornpen.vic.gov.au